Canguro Racing - Vegas To Reno

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
If you'd like to follow Canguro during the race today go to www.aprs.fi then type K6KRU-1 into the search box; that will track the race car. Type in KE7FYQ-1 to track Chase 3, which is Kurt's truck. Olly and I will be Chase 3 for most of the day, then I'll swap into two other chase trucks as we progress toward the finish line. This is a 500+ mile race, and will take us 12-15hrs if all goes well.

Follow on Facebook as well.

-Jason

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

How do they track you? Is it HAM radio, GPS, or a different type of tansmitter? I can see Kurt so far, but not the race car. What time does the actual race start?

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
We'll be leaving the Start line around 11:30 local time. The APRS is via HAM signals reaching out to satellite wich drop into the google map.. The car is on a trailer in front of us as we are headed to Beatty where the race starts.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Great day and experience despite the fact that it ended in a decision to put the car on the trailer after 288 miles of the 530 mile course were under our belt. Engine developed a knock; thinking rod bearing. The car had been running like a dream all day, and we were forecasting a 4am finish line celebration had we continued with our average speeds.

Bummer.

sixstringsteve

man, that sucks. Sounds like it's time to put a toyota motor in there :guilty: :D

Those races have got to be absolutely brutal on those vehicles. Either way, that's 288 more miles than I have ever driven in any offroad race. It was fun to track where you guys were, thanks for the link.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That is racing... there is a reason so many don't do it, its hard, its hot, its expensive and its frustrating. But when thing are going well its the best damn time you can have :D

I started the race in the co-driver spot for Marc. The car was running fast and fabulous and we were making excellent time, passing broken, rolled, and stuck rigs every few miles. As Sportsmans class we literally started near the end of the ~180 cars so we had plenty of passing to do and very little to worry about in our rear view. We did get nerfed by a fast moving 4400 car that didn't bother to give us some horn or siren action, no sweat... we passed his broken down Jeep a few miles later ;) Marc took us into Pit #3 at the 99 mile mark, I took the drivers seat and he hopped in as co-driver. We were rocking through the next few pits, car was running great and our recent suspension tuning did the trick. The silt beds were insanely deep for the smaller cars like us but she motored right through the only casualty being the massive amounts of dust blasting though the cockpit, the stuff has the consistency of powdered sugar. Three days later I'm still cleaning it out of my ears. I drove us to mile 192 where pit #5 would be a driver change.

Marc and I handed the car over to Dave and Darren and they were off in a hurry. My next job was to relieve Jason and Olly in Chase# 3 (my Tacoma) and chase up to pit#7, we didn't have a planned driver change there but we did want to have coms with the car and out other chase rigs so we set up not far from the pit in order to read the car as they came through. Olly and I set on a high hill overlooking the race course and were able to reach the car as they were ~10 miles out of the pit. Everything was running smooth and they had no need for a pit so they boogied on through and we sped off to pit 8 where Dave would be taking the wheel and Darren navigating. The swap at pit 8 went smooth, we went over our pit checks, added 10 gallons of fuel and sent them out to the course. We were feeling pretty invincible as our car had been running so well despite the brutal course and the casualties so many other teams had been encountering. Then came mile 288. Dave sends a message over the radio that the engine was making a 'rattle', it was bad enough that we could hear it audibly over the radios. We were the last to pull out of pit 8 so we moved towards their location on the highway and were able to connect with them just a few hundred yards off the race course at a highway intersection.

The motor was sounding horrible, while it had a fresh rebuild before the Mint 400 earlier this year, something had in fact gone terribly wrong inside and pushing it any further would likely result in an un-rebuildable motor. We relayed the message through Chase #1 to our tow rig/trailer (Chase #4) who was positioned at a pit up the course and he was on site within half an hour ready and we were loading the car. It was a major downer but we learned some lessons and we'll rebuild. The motor come out tonight and hopefully will be at the engine builders shop by tomorrow. We've got under two months to have the motor back so we can test and prep for the Baja 1000 in November :eek:

A big thanks to all our pit support, we had some fabulous folks down there helping us including Jason (SAMI) and Olly (cruiser) that really helped things run as smoothly as they did. While I obviously wish our motor would have held up, we made the best of the situation and worked as a team to get the car out of there and back to SLC, for the most part with our chins up :D

Hopefully Goates will add some pics :cool:

sixstringsteve

great report Kurt. I'm curious to hear what went in the motor. sounds like an absolute blast. You know where to find me if you need more pit crew members in November ;)

D

Deleted member 12904

Bummer about the dnf. I was in the only Chase truck for truck #87 owned by Brian B out if west Jordan. It was a long day filled with fuel problems and other small things but we finished! You guys where running good! Watched your car come through pit 7 I think still running strong.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
bummer about the motor.
But it sounds like you guys had a great time racing!
It's hard to keep those high hp aircooled motors alive in the desert.
I swear I've rebuilt or tweaked with our 1600cc bug motors more than anything else on the cars.
I can only imagine how much more $ is into those porsche motors and CV's

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bummer about the dnf. I was in the only Chase truck for truck #87 owned by Brian B out if west Jordan. It was a long day filled with fuel problems and other small things but we finished! You guys where running good! Watched your car come through pit 7 I think still running strong.

Was that the one with Blackly driving? Ford with the aircraft looking wrap? He actually rolled into our pit broken down and we helped him troubleshoot for a minute before we had to get moving to the next pit.

are you running a subaru motor?

Type four Porsche mated to a Weddle trans. Its coming out tonight and getting put on a pallet headed to Fats Performance in Cali for a R&R tomorrow. They think they can have it done for us by the September BOR race. :cool:

D

Deleted member 12904

That was us it was the pit after that your car rolled by us. Thanks for the help! That race was very unrealistic with a single Chase truck.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt your class is essentially the unlimited class of aircooled motor, right?

Class 5 Unlimited, so yes its unlimited air cooled but we also have to have VW type suspension (trailing arms) and some other misc reqs like wheel base and width considerations.

Our car @ the V2R, when running :D

254892_4161008979518_225639851_n.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Great effort guys!

Thanks Carl. You know the drill... racing is as much about your rig holding together as it is driving. In this case we were ready to drive but our car wasn't. Its already off the car and strapped to a pallet ready to head to the builder tomorrow.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Kurt failed to mention the rockin starter motor swap @ pit 3. Diagnosed and replaced with a fresh starter in 10minutes.

I had a blast chasing and setting up pits for Canguro. There is a lot of time that is put into prepping the car, and working out logistics of chase/comms/pits etc.

The engine is headed to Fat Performance in Orange CA for a rebuild. We'll probably rebuild the shocks soon prior to B1K and check and recheck everything on the car. Baja 1000 here we come.

8C333020-2024-42CF-AEAB-00766680F2CE-1361-00000198DD0CA9A9.jpg

Sorting out gear amongst chase trucks.

851AE0CD-2C9F-4051-B5D2-1A30BAE3C7B5-1361-0000018DBB2C181B.jpg

Race day morning. Leaving Vegas for the start line

E1398078-4056-4AEB-9D42-B3AA9369396A-1361-00000198CBB1AB0F.jpg

Chase 3 ready for a long day
A0CB0310-81B8-4951-94B9-18E506A4AC62-1361-0000018DD0EBF744.jpg

Back of the back - literally 4th from the last car to leave out of a record amount of racers.

FE4C415B-280B-4675-8A12-CD3773B13E9E-1361-0000018DF6B4499A.jpg

Pit 8, 30miles +/- to engine failure

96DFBDAD-99D2-4F32-9B3B-5E980690294D-1361-00000198B107F175.jpg

Trailer @ RM288

8DF55B02-E3E4-4CFB-B326-C293C78E6D07-1361-0000018E069D3659.jpg

How she sits now..