Cannondale Rize mountain bike

jgb

I have an old Cannondale Delta V 1000 hard tail with the Head shock super fatty front suspension.

I am researching into replacing that with a full suspension all around mountain bike.

Any opinions about the Rize series bikes?

Any opinions about the "lefty" front shock?

It looks funky, I think it would be hard to get used to visually. My major concern is the front hub would not be double sheared, like on a normal fork.

I looked at the Ibis Mojo, can't justify buying a carbon frame.
The Rize 1 & 2 are carbon, Rize 3, 4, and 5 are aluminum. Rize 3 has the Lefty, 4 & 5 have normal forks.

Thanks.

FJSchmoozer

I've talked to a couple of people about the lefty and you get used to it. It's a sickvicious fork! I rode a demo the other day with it and it felt a little funky. Have you looked at any 29ers? Just curious. I'm picking up a 29er tomorrow.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The Lefty is a typical Cannondale gimmick. Yes, it works, but it's overly complex for what you get. :D Like their ancient EST suspension, the V-frames, etc. Cannondale is at their best when they build sweet big-tube aluminum. I think they have a lot of engineers on the payroll. :D

Personally, I think a 4-bar linkage system is best, or even better, the VPP stuff from Santa Cruz. Kona makes some decent bikes for decent prices, as does Rocky Mountain (oooh! offical bike of RME? hahah), and a host of other 4-bar devotees.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... Personally, I think a 4-bar linkage system is best, or even better, the VPP stuff from Santa Cruz. Kona makes some decent bikes for decent prices, as does Rocky Mountain (oooh! offical bike of RME? hahah), and a host of other 4-bar devotees.

I ride a Rocky Mountain Slayer... :greg:

FJSchmoozer

Which brand?

After I read your post I looked at the Cannondale 29ers. They have a 29er 1,2,3,4.

Could you post a report/review after you get it?

It's a Windsor Cliff Comp 29er (same people that make Fuji and Giant). I know it's not the greatest bike in the world but it comes with decent components... Rock Shox Dart 3, SRAM X.5, Avid brakes...

I haven't been on a rig for almost 5 years now. I figure this will be a good way for me to get back into the game. I was down at Canyon Bicycles today looking at pedals (the bike I'm getting currently doesn't have any) and everyone down there said that 29er is the way to go, whether it be HT or FS. The one dude was pretty knowledgeable and races on a weekly basis. He said that 29ers are taking over everything and even SS 29ers are starting to be what everyone is winning with. The thing about a 29er is it's more forgiving and generally easier to ride once you get used to it. It's like the difference between 33's and 37's...

And I will most definitely be posting my feelings about the bike. I should be taking it out on Saturday, so I'll let you know. mtbr.com and ridemonkey.com have some great info on 29ers...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I ride a Rocky Mountain Slayer... :greg:

OOOHHHH!!! that's a sweet ride. I got to test one when they were coming out with them, in Sun Valley. We just happened to be finishing up an early-morning ride when they pulled up to the trailhead. :D Perfect timing.

I liked it a lot. You chose well. :D

FJSchmoozer

Ok... Here it goes. I picked up the new 9er at about 6:30 and took it for a quick spin in the parking lot. Didn't really get a feel from that obviously. Got home, put on some warm leggings and took it for a spin. After adjusting everything a little bit, it started to feel good. I can honestly say that this is the first bike that I don't feel too big on. 29" tires, 21" frame, and it feels normal. Obviously it's not as easy to bunny hop or wheelie, but it's super smooth. It definitely feels good to me. I'm 6'3" and 230 pounds so the bike fits me. Unfortunately I already have a flat on the rear tire though. I came down off of a curb and lost all the air in my rear tire in a matter of 10 seconds. I have tubless tires, which is another first for me, and from what I can tell the air escaped from the stem. I'm going to take the wheel down to the LBS tomorrow and have them explain to me a little bit about the tubeless. I'm probably going riding on Saturday, so I'll add a little more after that.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Ok... Here it goes. I picked up the new 9er at about 6:30 and took it for a quick spin in the parking lot. Didn't really get a feel from that obviously. Got home, put on some warm leggings and took it for a spin. After adjusting everything a little bit, it started to feel good. I can honestly say that this is the first bike that I don't feel too big on. 29" tires, 21" frame, and it feels normal. Obviously it's not as easy to bunny hop or wheelie, but it's super smooth. It definitely feels good to me. I'm 6'3" and 230 pounds so the bike fits me. Unfortunately I already have a flat on the rear tire though. I came down off of a curb and lost all the air in my rear tire in a matter of 10 seconds. I have tubless tires, which is another first for me, and from what I can tell the air escaped from the stem. I'm going to take the wheel down to the LBS tomorrow and have them explain to me a little bit about the tubeless. I'm probably going riding on Saturday, so I'll add a little more after that.

:cool: I wouldn't mind a 29'er, sounds like you're going to be happy with it. Keep us posted on how it does after the first trail ride.

jdub

Scrambler
Like tacoma says 4 bar's are rad especially in budgeted fs bikes without lockout. I had good luck with my Gary Fisher 29er (cobia) It was my monster truck bike! You have to be tall to enjoy it in my opinion. Traction is great and in the bumps it's at home. Some heads up... The 29er's struggle in some areas. Switchbacks, Tire width(2.1 max on GF), and one you all understand is gearing- Due to the size upgrade, no cassete or crankset changes so climbing was tough.

More good than bad.

jgb

Resurrecting this thread.

Last weekend I got to test ride the Giant Trance X2 and the Cannondale Rize 3 and 5.

I am going to retest ride the Rize 3 tomorrow in the Large size.

Between these two bikes I would have to pick the Rize 3 over the Trance X2. Yes, with the lefty.