Captain Rob's/Low Range Off Road's 4800 Jimmy's 4x4 build

Low Range

Off-Road Parts
Hi guys! Captain Rob here, for those of you that don't know me I race/compete in a green Toyota pick up for Low Range Off Road. Recently we have been fortunate enough to have been offered a Jimmy's 4x4 "podium" chassis. we are hoping to have it done and racing at this years King Of The Hammers(not a lot of time, I know) as a 4800/legends car, and we will race it in next years dirt riot series as a 4400 car.

Im really excited about this new 4800/legends class as I believe it will make for a "semi lower budget class" as well as more of a "driver skill class"
rules for 4800 class are pretty simple but cool

front engine
solid front axle
single shock per corner(air bumps allowed)
37 inch "non sticky" tires

our build will be:
Jimmy's 4x4 "podium" front engine solid axle car
chevy 6.0
4L65e trans
Atlas II 2.0
Swayaway coilovers
Trail-Gear Rock Assault 9s
Ultra Wheels
maxxis 37 inch Trepadors (new "non competition" compound bias plys)
COMEUP Winch

my main sponsors on this build are:
Low Range Off Road and Jimmy's 4x4

other sponsors include
Maxxis Tires
Ultra Wheel
Trail Gear
Comeup Winch
Ultimate 4x4
Bolt Center

Last edited:

Low Range

Off-Road Parts
front axle.jpgfron pass hime.jpg

here are some pics of the upper links we are using for mock up, they will eventually be replaced with aluminum. we cut the tubes about 2 inches to short, glad we didn't have the aluminum ones made too short.

we are using 7/8s fk joints on the top links and Currie Rock Joints on the lowers. also the grade 8 bolts will be pulled in favor of grade 9 bolts

Low Range

Off-Road Parts
here is a couple shots of the rear axle, notice the grade 9 bolts are slightly too long so we need to exchange them for shorter ones. Gaven at Jimmy's 4x4 we the fabricator on the chassis and axles. he did an amazing job welding it all together

rear axle links.jpg

rear link.jpg

Last edited:

Low Range

Off-Road Parts
here's our motor and trans set into place. we are debating on getting rid of the truck intake or not. if we keep it, we will have to modify the cross bar over the motor and possibly add a "hood scoop" but if we loose it, it costs us 600 dollars for a car intake and ive heard you loose torque? any insight to this?

motor.jpg

trans mission.jpg

Last edited:

cjncustoms

View attachment 95690View attachment 95691 here's our motor and trans set into place. we are debating on getting rid of the truck intake or not. if we keep it, we will have to modify the cross bar over the motor and possibly add a "hood scoop" but if we loose it, it costs us 600 dollars for a car intake and ive heard you loose torque? any insight to this?

Car intakes can be had for around $120 on ls1tech.com. I don't think the torque loss is very noticeable. I can't recall the numbers but I wanna say 15-25ft/lbs difference... The clearance you gain to not redo tube work and add a "hood scoop" is well worth it. You can get ls3 intake and injectors for around $300. Just gotta hit the forums and ebay.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have a car intake just sitting here. Name me as an unofficial sponsor and it's yours. :)

Low Range

Off-Road Parts
Car intakes can be had for around $120 on ls1tech.com. I don't think the torque loss is very noticeable. I can't recall the numbers but I wanna say 15-25ft/lbs difference... The clearance you gain to not redo tube work and add a "hood scoop" is well worth it. You can get ls3 intake and injectors for around $300. Just gotta hit the forums and ebay.

I have a car intake just sitting here. Name me as an unofficial sponsor and it's yours. :)

ill take you up on that! I will send you a pm. btw i'm admittedly by no means a "chevy expert" as ive built mostly Toyotas in my past builds so any advice on this is greatly appreciated!
:)

B2-Bomber

Chevy is my bread and butter. I even just did an intake manifold swap on a customer's rig like 2 weeks ago. I can tell you that the car intake needed some water pump modifications because of throttle body interference.

cjncustoms

Chevy is my bread and butter. I even just did an intake manifold swap on a customer's rig like 2 weeks ago. I can tell you that the car intake needed some water pump modifications because of throttle body interference.

I always heard that the water pump had to be modified but I had zero interference with mine when using a drive by cable tb. I can see it with a dbw but it definitely doesn't with the dbc.

B2-Bomber

I actually think it's a matter of the year, and subtle changes of accessories, not so much drive-by-wire or not. Because I've seen it on both

Last edited:

Bart

Very cool Captn Rob. You've come a long way in the sport and I'm happy to see you getting some good sponsorships, and representing Low Range. Good luck buddy.

B2-Bomber

Also, if you change it out I'd be very interested in your old manifold. I do enough of these that spare parts are always useful. The stock ones always warp, and start causing misfires due to vacuum leaks. And a new one is $300.00. Most of my customers who are on a budget. Would take a good condition used one if i had one.

Last edited:

UFAB

If ya need racer discount on ADS shocks, LS engine parts. Driven oil products. Unit bearing D60 parts?

We got some extra weld on tabs for those knuckles up front. Enables dodge 1500 calipers and 13.3" 6 lug or 5 lug rotors.

LQ4 on that 6.0 ?
Unless application and space limitations, get stock intake for sure. Remember ya can flip any intake around.

What wiring config for motor?

Is it to late to swap in a 4l80e?

Low Range

Off-Road Parts
I am flipping the intake backwards and I think I'm going to grab that one from UNSTUCK. but it sounds like I'll still need injectors, rails, and a throttle body.

mitch im sure ill be by your place to grab some stuff eventually!

do you have a 4l80? our 4l65 is all rebuilt and our atlas might already be shipped but what do you have? we want to upgrade eventually to a 4l80

UFAB

Ya, rails, injector and TB add up rather fast. I have a 90mm cable 3 and 4 bolt LS throttle body laying around.

4l80e, nothing extra. I just keep one on hand for myself.

I would run the 4l65e until it becomes a problem, keep ya posted on a good core 4l80e that pass thru.

Good luck, KOH wow better get snapping