Car audio help.

Agility Customs

Vendor
Well I should say boat audio help….. so my boat has 3 different amps.

One amplifier for the subs
One amplifier for the 8 speakers in the boat
One amplifier for the 4 speakers on the tower

The tower speakers will only turn up maybe half as loud as the speakers in the boat, the speakers are the exact same make and model so it makes me think that amp is:

A- not big enough
B- not doing it’s job anymore

Is there any way to test an amplifier for output and verify what the issue is?

shortstraw8

What are the amp specs? Im no audio expert but pretended to be when I was younger.
Does seem like the tower amp is smaller on purpose as it is driving 4 instead of 8?
Only way I ever tested an amp was to hook it to a few speakers and if nothing worked return it to ultimate electronics until something worked. But you should be able to make sure it is getting proper amps per channel with a multi meter.
Also are the enclosures the same size? Sound/speakers do like to have the proper space and imo most tower speakers sound like cheap wallyworld 6x9s with the shitty cone shape on every-damn-one of them i have seen/heard
Solution|:
1- Just get more drunk while boating and everything sounds good??
b- Bridging amps is always cool... might work or at least give everyone the feeling they sound good because they are bridged.

boogie_4wheel

If this a new problem or has it always been like this? It could be simple like rholbrook said; check that the volume/gain on the amp for the tower is just turned down or got bumped, or the interior amp got turned up.

Is the fade front vs rear centered on the head unit? Long shot and not knowing what you have or what is on the market these days; what if the rear output is for the tower and the front is for the interior. If the sound is not balanced 'front to rear' then the front (interior) is louder?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Are the 8 boat speaks all 4 ohm... As well as the tower speakers? Are they wired in series or parallel? Are those two amps both 4 channel? Is the audio input being split (Y) going into the amps? How long is the run of wire to the tower and what agu?

My gut feeling is you're running the boat speaks at 2ohm and the towers are at 4 ohm but there are lots of variables there to look at.

If measure the impedance on all those channels, then work backwards.