Car Audio Junkies

RockChucker

I'm looking at buying a new sub. My last one was ripped from my Jeep with much force. It was bolted down. They totally destroyed the box getting it out. Joy. Anyway, I am seeing a few different configurations available and would like to know the pros/cons of each or if there really is not much of a difference.

Voice Coil. what does this mean? i have seen single and dual
Impedance. 2 ohm or 4 ohm I understand ohms are resistance, so what does a higher resistance mean? it needs a bigger amp to push it? crisper sound?

thanks for the help.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Paging Josephus The Great, Knower of All Things Car Audio!!!

I would guess that you wouldn't know the difference in a TJ, but who knows. :D

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I'm looking at buying a new sub. My last one was ripped from my Jeep with much force. It was bolted down. They totally destroyed the box getting it out. Joy. Anyway, I am seeing a few different configurations available and would like to know the pros/cons of each or if there really is not much of a difference.

Voice Coil. what does this mean? i have seen single and dual
Impedance. 2 ohm or 4 ohm I understand ohms are resistance, so what does a higher resistance mean? it needs a bigger amp to push it? crisper sound?

thanks for the help.

There will be people who don't agree with me, but they'll be wrong... seriously.

There are some excellent tutorials on JL Audio's website. They are not excellent simply because I wrote most of them but mostly because I wrote most of them.

Have a read and get back to me with any questions... I'm kind of a big deal.

Goody

The ohm load just needs to be matched with the amp and how you wire it to an amp. Your subs manual will have directions on how to wire it for different ohm loads.

Last edited:

RockChucker

those are some great tutorials! I always figured gain had a certain procedure to be set, but never knew. now i do. i do still have a question about the differences between a 2 ohm and 4 ohm sub. Is one better than the other? Basically does a 4 ohm sub take a bigger amp to push it around?

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
One is not "better" than the other, it's all a matter of matching the load to the amp that you have. For example, two 4 ohm woofers wired in parallel configuration will yield a 2 ohm load which electrically is the same thing as a single 2 ohm driver. If you're putting a single woofer into your Jeep you will most-likely need a 2 ohm driver (or a dual 4 ohm VC) if you have a mono-block amp or a 4 ohm driver (or a dual 2 ohm VC series) if you have a stereo amp that's "bridged" mono.

Whatever you buy, seriously consider JL Audio for even the entry level drivers are superior in every measurable way to anything else. Any idiot can design a speaker, unfortunately, many do.... just sayin'