Car decisions.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
So we have a TDI 2013 Passat. We love the car but it is under warranty per the scandal thing. It has been at Volkswagen for 10 months waiting for parts to arrive (Def Cat system failure). We have had a rental car during these months so no worries there. I am concerned about the length of time the car has been sitting and the possibility of other problems not covered under the warranty. The car is paid off and we like it a lot but there is a possibility of a buy back. Love not having a car payment. Almost certainly will have a car payment of we take a buy back. Not sure yet how much they will give us.
I guess my question is what will go bad in a car other than a battery over a long period of time. The warranty covers all motor and exhaust related problems. Care has around 80k and is warranted to 125. Transmission is not covered under warranty.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I assume VW is taking care of the rental bill? If so I’d string that out as long as possible.

Does the warranty end after so much time? Is that time running out while it sits at the dealer? Maybe you can negotiate a new warranty for waiting so long for the fix instead of a buy back. I’d stay in the (free) rental as long as possible.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Do you have the ability to go by and start it once a month or so? That would keep things flowing and lubed. I've let vehicles sit for years without issues though.. but they were not really important enough to care either way..

Sitting in the open air oven that you live in, it would be a concern for me that the interior is getting roasted from the sun hitting the same way every day.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I assume VW is taking care of the rental bill? If so I’d string that out as long as possible.

Does the warranty end after so much time? Is that time running out while it sits at the dealer? Maybe you can negotiate a new warranty for waiting so long for the fix instead of a buy back. I’d stay in the (free) rental as long as possible.
This 100%

kmboren

Yes VW is taking care of the rental bill. Ironically we accidentally got sent that invoice and it was roughly the price of the car. It would be cheaper for them to buy us out. I like the plan of them continuing to pay for it. The Warranty is 125000 miles or 5 years feom the new flash and what ever is longest so no concern there as we are well under the 125000.

kmboren

Do you have the ability to go by and start it once a month or so? That would keep things flowing and lubed. I've let vehicles sit for years without issues though.. but they were not really important enough to care either way..

Sitting in the open air oven that you live in, it would be a concern for me that the interior is getting roasted from the sun hitting the same way every day.
Unfortunately with the def problem and it thinking there is no Def when there is in fact def it won't let the car start. We did go over the other day and empty the car out. Battery was of course dead. And we put a sun shade up to help protect the car from this summers sun.