car-side to go.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
does anybody use car-side to go at any of the restaraunts? i have used it a few times at famous daves, applebees and others. i normaly only leave a buck or two for a tip, seeing as all he has to do is walk 20 ft or so to bring me my food. i thought that was fine, but the last time i went to famous daves the kid wasnt very happy about his tip.

what is a good tip for these guys?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Couple bucks. :hickey: You're in his parking spot for all of a minute if he's doing his job. If he wants more than that tell him to follow you home and refill your drinks and clean up the mess when you're done. A couple bucks is being generous. The pizza delivery kid does ten times more work than that bozo and I doubt you're tipping the pizza guy $20.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I do that sometimes when I'm traveling for work. I tip 10% - 15%, but since it goes on the company card, I can't say if I would be that generous with my own money... Probably not. They don't do nearly as much for me as a regular server does.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I have used it a few times. I'm not a fan of being obligated to tip. Don't get me wrong in a restaurant the waiter/waitress gets 20-25% unless they fawk up, but tipping to walk out the door with a bag of food. I usually write a big 0 in the tip box, if wifey is with me she thinks I need to tip a full 25%. I like the ones who are working for a tip right from the beginning, they compliment your truck, the weather, what your wearing, and "oh your kid is so cute", etc... They usually shut up when they see the big "0"

The ones I hate worse than that is the "attendant" in the men's room. I don't need to pay $5 for a paper towel. I was besieged with these fawkers in Cabo last month. They were good, they took all the paper towels out of the dispenser and tried to guilt you into tipping them for a towel.

Maybe I'm just cheap or behind the times, but to me it seems there are a lot of people asking for tips when they have no business to ask for them.

Caleb

I tip if they do their job. If my food comes out quick, hot, and correct then they get a tip. Car side or not. If it's a waiter then I will almost always aleast tip the standard 15%. To me the 15% is the base line for if they're sucky, if they are good I usually tip 25%+.

kbjames

Fawk that.

Whats the tip for? Bringing the food out to the car? No f'ing way man, big fat zero's all the way.

Big difference between that and running back and forth to my table several times a night and making sure everything is going OK.

Its no different than going to Starbucks where they have a tip jar at the counter. I never throw anything in there...the coffee is already over-priced as it is....but mmmm, tastes good!! :)

Bucking Bronco

I think I tip very well for the people that I think deserve it. But the car side and take out stuff. I don’t tip. When I am at Chili’s some times while I am waiting for my take out they will offer me a drink and I usually say no thanks but when they do I will usually leave them a dollar.

I personally am sick of the tip jar. It seems to be popping up everywhere

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i wont tip for take out. thats just stupid. they did nothing but take my order and bag it.

i am a very generous tipper. 15% bottom line, that comes from working in the food industry, they make a fraction of minimum wage. the tips are where its at. generaly if your food is slow or cold its the kitchens fault anyway. a good server will see 20%-30%.

the only way the bathroom atendant is going to get a tip is if we wipes my ass for me. in other words, its not going to happen.

as for the carside to go. she didnt get a tip last night. i waited in the lot for 15 minutes before they came out to take my money. then ten more minutes before my food came out. keep in mind i had already driven from magna to westjordan to get it.it should never take 45 minutes for take out.

Caleb

Whats the tip for? Bringing the food out to the car?

IMO, the restaurant industry is driven on tips. Like WHYJAE mentioned, they are paid a little more than minimum wage usually. While yes they have the choice to go get another job, part of me also realizes they are doing a job I would never want to do. I appreciate them doing what they do but a tip is not guaranteed (it's not a tip if it's a guarantee). Like WHYJAE's example, I would not have tipped either in that instance. I am very generous otherwise though. :-\

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The servers in NY make at least minimum. They only made $2.90/hr if their tips didn't make minimum.

But I digress...

I tip well too, because working in restaurants taught me how it is for waitstaff. Bad service is punished accordingly. :D

jdub

Scrambler
This is great, I actually asked a curb side guy how much they expect and he went on to tell me that there is effort in preparing and packaging the food and it is common for him to be tipped normally. I listened to his rant and drove away knowing that I threw in a buck which for running out to my car is sufficient. I've been concerned with not leaving a tip so I throw in what I'd give a bum playing a guitar without any strings. But when it comes to handing me a bag they'd better be happy with a buck.
I was at a Training table and saw 3 different tip jars fashioned with home-made signs that resembled some panhandlers, when I went to sign for my card receipt I didn't see anywhere to add a tip. They never get tipped and never will unless they get the system to allow it to be added on the receipt.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Tips at training table? F that! I have to order my food over the phone so they don't even have to walk, then go pick it up, and wait in line like at the store. Sorry but that is screwed up. I almost always tip 20 % up at normal places. But carside to go guy gets 1-2 bucks. I mean come on, the kitchen does more work then him. I'm not afraid to give the shaft though when its the servers fault.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
This reminds me of the looks I get when I don't tip for picking up take out orders at Chillis. They even have a tip jar too. :ugh: I'll tip you for having myself pickup my own food?? Give me a break...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I was at Papa Murphy's the other night and they had a tip jar sitting out there on the counter... It was empty when I got there and empty when I left ;)

Don't get me wrong, like others here I'm very generous with my tips when they deserve it. My wife is kind of stingey with the $'s, but I'm not. I was out with a few the other night (Big Rich and a couple friends), we tied that table up for a good 4 hours. Don't get me wrong, we ate our steaks and kept buying drinks all night. I think our bill was like $130 and between the three (one left after eating) of us we left right around $60 in tip.

I don't care about the food, it's the service I'm tipping on. The food will keep me coming back. To an extent so will the service. Awesome service and mediocre food; I'll be back. Crappy service, and good food I'll give it a few times and try different servers each time. If they all suck, I don't go back. Tips because they are just doing their job, no way. I mean, why should I tip if you have to make my coffee or my pizza or? In what way did you do anything beyond your job?

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
When I go to a restaurant I leave a nice tip. But what really chaps my A** is when I go to Quiznos or Blimpie, they make me a sandwich and when I get my receipt from my debit card to sign it they have a spot for a tip. I don't tip the guys at McDonald's or Wendys, why the hell should I tip them. It just irritates me. I can see the restaurant but not Quiznos.

Corban_White

Maybe I'm old fashioned but $0.00 is the baseline for a tip and there is no max. If I get crappy service, no tip. Excellent service has earned over 60% before. I believe all tips should be earned, period.

Oh, and places like the training table, sonic, carside, etc. No tip.