Car stereo instal help, false panels

blznnp

I am wanting to clean up my trunk in my camaro, but I have no clue how they get the false panels to stay in place. Do they build a frame then make it attach to that? Or is it just a super tight fit? Anyone know?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I am wanting to clean up my trunk in my camaro, but I have no clue how they get the false panels to stay in place. Do they build a frame then make it attach to that? Or is it just a super tight fit? Anyone know?

Both ways are common. It just depends on what kind of space you have to work with, and the design of your panel. I think that a frame is the better way to go as long as you have the room for it, but if you can make a panel fit simply using a tight fit, it is often easier and looks cleaner. You could also build a combination of the two - basically just a stop/shelf for your friction-fit panel to butt up against, but not using the frame to retain the panel.

blznnp

Guess I'll go get some angle iron to make a frame. At least for some of it and see if I can get some of them to fight tight. Need a TIG welder to weld some aluminum for the frame.