carburetors

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
With the discussion of projection coming up, I'm wondering what everyone is running and what they think of it. Who like's their carburetor? Who hates it and wants fuel injection? I was getting pretty frustrated with my two barrel motorcraft and since my 302 had a wicked rebuild done I'm looking for suggestions. Has anybody heard anything about the new Holley truck avenger carb? Is anybody running a Howell system?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I run projection. I have never had problems with it, and my jeep runs real good. I have heard a lot of horror storys, however most seem to be second hand. I would like to try a truck avenger if I gained a lot of power I might be able to live with some of the drawbacks of carbs. I would really like to run an edelbrock or holley multipoint setup but that is not in the budget right now, and I think I would rather invest in more stroke and heads first.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I ran the motorcraft 2 barrel on mine for 14 years. I loved it!!!! I ran it on 3 different motors, stock 302, very hot 302, mildly pumped 351w. I did play with jets depending on the motor. They are simple carbs that work about the best at angles. Rebuild the carb, set the float just a little low, and get some jets from your ford dealer. If you were her, I would be happy to rebuild and adjust it for you. The rebuild is very simple!!

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
Hmm, you got me thinking. Would save on buying a new manifold. I think I even have an extra 2 barrel sitting around. My motor's heavily modified, and I just want to utilize it's full potential.

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
I still have the stock Toy carb. As anyone who has one knows, they're a pain in the a$$ when it comes to flooding out while wheeling, and a little more power with EFI would be wonderful, but I definently prefer working on a carb then on fuel injection! :D Maybe some day I'll swap to EFI, but for now, my carb'd 4 banger gets me around town and down to Moab. (Assuming nothing else falls off my 4Runner in the process!) :rolleyes:

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
I've got a 4bbl edelbrock. No complaints on it, although I need to play with the jets a little. I just have to bump up the idle a little when I go out otherwise she'll cut out on hills when I stop.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I have to disagree with the toy carb deal. I have problems with wheeling and rust clogging the jets but i wouldn't change it out. My girls runner is EFI and having probs and I cant ajust squat or really tear it down to see whats wrong. Weither thats me or the system is still to be seen. EFI is great untill something goes wrong.....

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
I have to disagree with the toy carb deal. I have problems with wheeling and rust clogging the jets but i wouldn't change it out.
I didn't say I would change mine out. I don't think I will for a long time, if ever! :p
I still have the stock Toy carb. As anyone who has one knows, they're a pain in the a$$ when it comes to flooding out while wheeling, and a little more power with EFI would be wonderful, but I definently prefer working on a carb then on fuel injection!
I prefer troubleshooting the carb over EFI any day. I'm fairly happy with the overall performance of mine, I just don't like flooding out. Someday I'll probably have to find some solutions to problems with flooding out, be it modifications on the stock Toy carb or putting something different in there like a Weber, but for now mine works for me!
:D

SnwMnkys

Originally posted by rckcrlr
I ran the motorcraft 2 barrel on mine for 14 years. I loved it!!!! I ran it on 3 different motors, stock 302, very hot 302, mildly pumped 351w. I did play with jets depending on the motor. They are simple carbs that work about the best at angles. Rebuild the carb, set the float just a little low, and get some jets from your ford dealer. If you were her, I would be happy to rebuild and adjust it for you. The rebuild is very simple!!

What would you charge to rebuild a motorcraft? Im swapping over from my Carter back to a 2 barrel but leaving my 4 barrel manifold and just getting an adapter.

Anyone intrested in buying a Edelbrock 4 barrel??

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Just go get the rebuild kit, make sure to change the needle and seat. Just set the float a little lower than the kit says. You might play with it a little to get it right. I kinda have feeling for it after a ton of rebuilds. Then if it feelsa little slugish, up the jets a step.
You can email me direct or call me rckcrlr@networld.com or 814-2645.
Marc

SnwMnkys

Ya what size are you running at this Altitude and i assume a 302? My motors stock other then headers, exhaust and intake. See any problem running the 2 barrel with an adapter to go to an edelbrock 4 barrel manifold?

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I have to send some love to the motorcraft 2bbl. carb too! I have it on my 304 and it works perfectly, I have yet to have any carb probs. on any trails I have run!

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
Mind you I never played with the carb, I just ran it as is after I bought it, which was about 3 months worth, but I had problems with it stalling out going up bumpy hills and then would take a while to get started again. It did always run at steep angles though.