Carnage Canyon

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
Unless I end up hitching a ride to moab this weekend I could show somebody how to get to carnage. Like I mentioned in my (one and only) previous post, I have no trail rig of my own (my dady's chebby truk could only make it up to the staging area :eek:), so I would have to hitch a ride with somebody else. If anybody wants to go just send me a message.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by GroceryGetter
You may be right and I admit, open diffs don't do well on the loose stuff, but I did make the climb out of the first section of LPG with nary a hitch and it is very loose and dusted. I'm willing to try anything.

If the majority of the trail is rock ledges and climbs, then I can make up for the lack of a locker with wheelbase.

I just get a kick out of some of the locker prudes that think you have to have a locker to do some serious wheelin'.

Cody

there are very few rock ledges in actuality. most of it is just loose rocks. I dont think there was a single person in the groups that did not turf it when walking on this stuff. the rock is not a solid type of rock, it is about 4 inch chunks and breaks off when abused. most of the ledges are undercut because of the massive tire spinning. at the base of the ledges is all the eroded material. the more you spin a tire the deeper you get. come on up you are welcome to take a hack at it......btw why are you so anti-locker?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm not anti-locker, I just refuse to dump money in the cheesy axles that I have right now. Hopefully by the spring I'll be setup with some HD axles and selectable lockers--that way I can still wheel open which is more fun and more challenging.

I just get tired of people telling me what I can and can't do because I don't have lockers. I remember watching Shannon Campbell compete in ARCA w/o lockers for a few obstacles and he still made it. People need to get back to their roots and learn to drive w/o lockers before they get them.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Greg
Guys, that looks like it has tons of potential! How long is it?

I, too, am concerned about the Legality aspect.....

the trail itself is about a half mile long. as far as legality, I am pretty sure it is predominantly on forrest service land. I know we would have to pass through utah power and light territory but that might just be right of way terms with the forrest service. I will examine my maps and get back to you guys.

edit.....here is the link for the canyon itself. http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=11&x=1055&y=11436&z=12&w=1 if you look in the lower left hand corner you see the trailhead coming from the road. dont be deceived by the easy looking bottom of the raving. I am surprised at how distinct the bottom of this ravine is!! I know they took some heavy equipment up in this area about 10 years ago. This link is to a photograph in 1998 so see for yourself.
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=12&n=4574362&e=421975&s=25&size=m the little red x marks the spot on this map. you can see the green blob of forrest service land that surrounds the road. this is the staging area. follow the topographical ravine up and you can see what kind of gradient you are facing. it gets pretty step pretty fast!the trail starts at about 5000 feet and we they were probably driving up through 57-5800 feet clawing all the way!! I guess it is time to chat with the forrest service. :(

Last edited:

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
Originally posted by demon jeep

HEY I thought that we were going to run rattle snake. Are you ditching out on me:(

If I can make it up to North Ogden I'd like to try that trail out. If not I'll be there for Rattlesnake.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by spencurai
I guess it is time to chat with the forrest service. :(

Yeah, it sucks to have to be responsible, huh?

I think mabey if we offered to have a cleanup, road maintainance, or service project in the area in exchange for access to the trail they would be more willing. Make it a win-win situation!! We need to do anything possible to open new trails, let alone keep the ones we have.

I agree though.....Carnage Canyon looks like one of the most hardcore trails on the Wasatch Front!!!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
That'd really suck to have something of that caliber within 45 minutes drive. I might need a new DD after a few runs.........My drivers side needs more damage {windows are KEWL!!! not having windows is cool....}.....

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by mbryson
That'd really suck to have something of that caliber within 45 minutes drive. I might need a new DD after a few runs.........My drivers side needs more damage {windows are KEWL!!! not having windows is cool....}.....

full body vehicles like the bronco that ran got some body damage at the entrance to the trail. There is a huge boulder that you have to squeeze around and there is no bypass!! The Bronco was so straight ans pretty that it was hard to see it get smashed. I cant remember the guys name but when he put tire to the trail that thing just crawled like mad. I think he was running 60s front and rear locked with some low gears. looked like beadlocked 35" MTR's ....jim got any pics, that thing was nice!!

jp008

I haven't fully checked into that. We scouted for posting and found NONE. This place was found because of the fact that the place we wanted to go was posted and this place was not. So to answer your question I'm not sure of the legality. I'll have to check on that.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
gonna have to be in two weeks. moab is this weekend:D and I got too much work to do on the zuk!! i got my kong t-case mount from www.trailtough.com the kings of zuk offroad!! I love those guys.....anyway lets shoot for two weekends from now.... scheduling issues anyone?? run rattle snake this weekend...and next week we do carnage.....:D

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
if that is the weekend of oct 12-13 i'd like to give it a try.
my cruiser has a rear locker and 37"mtr's
it also is a fj60 so it has length..
think it could hack it??

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by cruiser
if that is the weekend of oct 12-13 i'd like to give it a try.
my cruiser has a rear locker and 37"mtr's
it also is a fj60 so it has length..
think it could hack it??

the locked and lifted cherokee did the best up there so far. he had a locker front and rear but his length helped him on those loose ledges!! come on up and give it a try!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by SmokinCamel
Hey Josh,
I'll tell pat and we can all go :) You better hurry It is goin to snow soon. You know what that means.

snow + carnage canyon = absolute winchfest!!!:D