Carp fishing at Utah Lake?

JoeT

I've been thinking about taking my kids carp fishing at Utah Lake sometime in the next 2 weeks. I'm figuring that the kids will get a kick out of reeling in a big carp. Plus I've heard that they put up a good fight. Anyone done this?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We used to catch quite a few while catfishing. Carp actually put up a hell of a fight....it's just very deflating when you pull one to the surface and can actually tell what kind of a fish it is. Ugly bastids....

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Not there, but carp are a fun distraction. :D we used to fish them in the canals in NY, they're HUGE! and they are entertaining to wrangle with, the kids will love it. :D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Fishing for carp is great with kids! They have no teeth or sharp fins, you almost never catch small ones plus they put up a good fight.

I took my wife Carp fishing when we first met (she hadn't been out West for very long) and she managed to pull in a monster weighing in at 13lbs! :D Here on the Bear River they are plentiful and can get really annoying if you're after game fish.

Its hard to beat old fashioned night crawlers on a size 4 hook for bait ;)

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
a friend of mine caught one on a fly rod on lower fish creek a few years back. when it hit and ran we thought he a monster brown or bow on the end. Kind of killed the moment when it's ugly ass came up to the shore!

sixb

Will work for beer!
a friend of mine caught one on a fly rod on lower fish creek a few years back. when it hit and ran we thought he a monster brown or bow on the end. Kind of killed the moment when it's ugly ass came up to the shore!

Is this the creek that comes out of Scofield dam? If so I have a similar story, we were fishing the first mile before the train bridge that is open to bait and were dead drifting nightcrawlers and really catching the carp and small browns but more often they were carp until all of a sudden a monster hit and I just hauled it in thinking it was just a big carp. Well it was a 24" 4+ lb brown & it's on my wall now:greg: I love that creek!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Your kids ought to really enjoy beating the shiz out out those ugly things with a stick when you chuck 'em up on shore...:) They do fight real good too...

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
make sure you know the differance between a carp and a sucker because all suckers caught in utah lake must be released

June Suckers you have to release, but the Utah Sucker you can keep. Both are in Utah Lake, and they are kinda hard to tell apart, so you may be better off releasing them all...

But please... kill the carp!:D

The Utah Bowfishing Association is proud to announce the 2009 Utah State Bowfishing Championship held on Utah Lake July 11th.
For additional answers to questions, tournament rules and registration please visit our website @ www.utahbowfishing.com.
Hope to see you all there!!!
Slide1-3.jpg