Carrier Removal?

wildkid

...Jeepless...
1- What is the best method to remove a carrier - from a rear D44, let's say? And I suppose to be more specific, it's an ARB w/4.56 ring/pinion.

2- If removed, but the pinion is not disassembled, can the ARB be reinstalled without having to setup the gears again?

3- If the answers to #s 1 and 2 are "take it to a shop", then which one?

Thanks,
Ryan

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
wildkid said:
1- What is the best method to remove a carrier - from a rear D44, let's say? And I suppose to be more specific, it's an ARB w/4.56 ring/pinion.

2- If removed, but the pinion is not disassembled, can the ARB be reinstalled without having to setup the gears again?

3- If the answers to #s 1 and 2 are "take it to a shop", then which one?

Thanks,
Ryan

Rocklogic, Skys, Six states

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Take off the bearing caps. Make sure to note which came from which side, and which is top and bottom. Remove carrier/ARB. Sometimes it can be hard, use a prybar or similar to remove. I've heard of people having to use a winch to pop it out. Depending on what you're doing with the gears when you take them out tells you if you'll need to reset your gears. If you're changing carriers, you may need to, I'm not sure. If you're leaving the ring gear on the carrier/ARB, then you can just slide it back into place, making sure to reinstall the bearing caps the exact same way they came out, and torque to specs.

wildkid

...Jeepless...
I broke the driver's side axle. The stub is still in the ARB and cannot be removed with a magnet.
No gear change, just remove, clean, inspect, reinstall.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
wildkid said:
I broke the driver's side axle. The stub is still in the ARB and cannot be removed with a magnet.

Keep all the shims on the sides they are on now and you're good to just reinstall it. The ARB uses a special bearing and shim stack on one side--it may all stick together for you, or it may slip off--just pay attention.

And don't forget to undo the copper line from the housing before you pull the carrier. ;)

It should be a tight fit, so don't be afraid to use some force to get it out, and you may need to use a mallet to get it back in as well.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I Lean said:
Keep all the shims on the sides they are on now and you're good to just reinstall it. The ARB uses a special bearing and shim stack on one side--it may all stick together for you, or it may slip off--just pay attention.

And don't forget to undo the copper line from the housing before you pull the carrier. ;)

It should be a tight fit, so don't be afraid to use some force to get it out, and you may need to use a mallet to get it back in as well.

Yeah, what he said.......

and be CAREFUL with the copper line and the collar ........(oh, he did mention that, but be careful with the copper line and the collar).

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
use a differential case spreader to get them out, thats how I did my 44's, without it was a real pain.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
wildkid said:
I broke the driver's side axle. The stub is still in the ARB and cannot be removed.....

I am asking more than anything since I don't know. But can you remove the other axle, and pound it through with a long dowel or something similar?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
rusted said:
I am asking more than anything since I don't know. But can you remove the other axle, and pound it through with a long dowel or something similar?

I think it's easier to just pull the carrier and knock the chunk out that way. I think that could work though.

It's not a tough thing to take care of. Just make sure you mark the bearing caps, and be CAREFUL with the copper ARB stuff. I don't think the bearings are coming off the carrier easily so it's kind of a remove and replace type of thing rather than a setup deal.

wildkid

...Jeepless...
WJ ZUK said:
use a differential case spreader to get them out, thats how I did my 44's, without it was a real pain.

Since I haven't got one of these things laying around, do auto parts places rent them? I've heard of them, just never used one.

FYI, the reason for pulling it is because I have a feeling that the busted end of the shaft might have messed up the bearings right at the carrier. The seal looks toast anyway!

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
You can get it out without a case spreader, I have had mine apart several times, (thanks to cheap lifetime-warranted lunchbox lockers by Genuine Gear) and have never used a spreader, yeah it takes some work, but spreaders cost $$$, and I am CHEAP :greg:

Oh, and in case everyone else forgot, be careful with the copper line and fittings going into the arb.

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
wildkid said:
I just did the exact same thing, except it was on a Ditch Witch, and it was the right rear inner axle that broke, but other than that... identical :rofl: I use a Wonderbar and a hammer to get carriers out.