Cartels in Utah

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I do read up on these stories whenever I see them and it is concerning how this situation is booming. I have family in MX that has seen it first hand, happen to their coworkers, happen to neighbors, hell even when I visit it's a little stressful although nothing has ever happened. But it sucks to see that come this way. Although the report says it's unlikely the violence will make it's way here to that degree, there is still some of it going on already.

The one that stood out was of the body found in the burned car out in Delle. I think most of us here have been out in the Delle area or plan to at one point or another. Imagine how many times you may have come across that was used as a tool of disposal.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I think that a good way to spot cartels is when you see people move in whether it's a house or business and they just boom overnight into something huge and then expand from there. Like small businesses that multiply practically overnight, since I would guess they use the business as a front.

Nappy

Nappystunts.com
I read that this morning and laughed... Not because it's funny, but because people are so naïve. I'm from Midvale. Not the worst place in town, but definitely not the best. And back half a life ago when I was in high school and just after, I would be at some people's houses I partied with and see closets full of product. Literally 5+ 55 gallon bags stuffed. That was in the mid to late 90s. To think the cartels haven't been here or things were all good around here even 10-20 years ago, is false and wishful thinking. They just are probably better now with the technology at covering it up or staying off the radar...And the cops are falling behind with the amount of garbage getting pushed these days. So they may just need help with the public's eyes. But this in no way is new news. Just most people never think about it because they live normal lives... In my opinion.

Last edited:
R

rockdog

They have been here a long time. Have family in law enforcement. There is a whole drug distribution system in slc valley that goes on all around you every day. People just don't recognize it. After being brought up to speed how the heroin deals go down. I've watched it happen in oreilys parking lot in PG. Happened so fast, it was over before I realized what had just happened.
Two mexi's in an average car. Passenger has a mouth full of balloons. The contact is made via cell phone. They tell the buyer where to meet (always changes) Buyer waits there. Seller pulls thru.(notice he doesn't stop?) He travels a ways random, with buyer following. Then pulls in somewhere. Buyer walks up and hands drug spitter money. He spits out x number of colored (different color for different drug) and hands em to buyer. Goes down in like 10 seconds.
Goes on all around you every day!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I-80 + I-15 = distribution hub

Drug runners are here for the same reason so many trucking companies are based in SLC

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Question for you guys though, we know drugs have been here for ages because that's common sense right, but how do you differentiate what could be a cartel network like Sinaloa or other mentioned ones vs a distribution network of US based networks, whether coming from CA for example or coming from a bordering town in the next county. What are you considering one vs the other or are you grouping them into one?

Just asking because I just doing see the US rooted kingpins or 'cartels' which I don't consider them to be, as ruthless as the actual cartels of central and South America.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I moved to SLC a few years ago and I've seen more hard drugs at parties and clubs than I've seen in any hollywood movie this side of Scarface or Blow. Utah folks love their gak. I'm not talking junky parties either...I'm talking about parties overlooking the state capitol or the entire town of Park City...The people want what they want! Legalize it, regulate it, and send the cartels packing. The drug war was lost decades ago.

R

rockdog

The cartels have taken the drug trade over pretty much. Yes gangs are involved, but they get the stuff from them. But the cartels realized they could up their profit if they controlled it from start to finish. Yes they are in Utah!
As Spenc said, it is huge here. More than most people would ever guess. Most would be terrified if they knew. I carry a gun at all times. I'm not scared. Just not stupid enough to believe that law enforcement will always be there to cover my back.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I don't see a problem letting drugs be legal (age permitting), but ONLY IF: when an offense is committed (dui, physical harm, burglary) while on these drugs, a SERIOUS punishment is applied. This B.S. we have with allowing people multiple dui's, some even killing others, still being free and on the streets is a joke. Make the punishments fit the crime. you kill someone while under the influence, you should get killed back. No slap on the wrist and a 2 day time out. No court hold ups either, get it over with. You beat someone while in a drug induced rage, death penalty. You back into my car ever so softly while high, lose your license for life.. Enjoy the bus.

and just to illustrate my point:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...time-in-11-years-faces-DUI-charge.html?pg=all

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-20-DUIs-faces-another-DUI-charge.html?pg=all

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...cle_eaf1813f-60dd-53f2-bd5d-a0e91e69c466.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/695215903/Was-bail-too-low-in-Utah-County-DUI-case.html?pg=all

Last edited:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
The answer is simple, stop buying drugs. With the war on drugs not working it does not seem likely that people will stop buying until peer pressure is brought to bear. If people say it is ok or ignore what is happening it will never stop. Just like land use will never be what we want until enough people get involved.