carter BBD to weber conversion on a 258

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Not Weber, but we've done a bunch of EMPI carbs on 258's. It's essentially the same carb and conversion, but the EMPI is a bit cheaper. I have one on the shelf if you want to take a look.

They typically run WAY better. Depends on how good/bad your Carter is, naturally.

Probably plan on some re-jetting for altitude, but even the rich jets will probably be better than what you have now. :)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It comes with everything you need other than new jets or whatever. Kit is $385 minus your RME discount. :D

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
You may also look into a Motorcraft 2100 series carb. There is a guy on ebay that sets them up for jeeps with everything you will need. He custom jets them for the area you live in. He is very good about helping out after the sale as well, and includes a cd full of instructions. I have purchases a few of them and install are pretty easy.
Junkyards have them too and they are great, easy carbs to work on.

Only downsides I have come across is that one time a guy on a trail asked me if I was running my CJ on Burger King fry oil. Said my exhaust smelled like fries.
The other downside-- it's still not fuel injection.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I believe strictly speaking it's not smog legal, since you get rid of around 16 miles of vacuum crap. (that you're supposed to retain all the time) It'll pass a sniffer more easily than now, most likely--it's the visual inspection that may or may not bite you.