Cash for Clunkers....seriously?

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
I guess the irony here would be if these people traded in their old chevy clunker for a new chevy clunker. One failed program to another....

I really hope you all buy a new chevy since I am now a partial owner of the company.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Not to get all technical on you, but... Congress controls the money. Obama may be pushing congress to find the money, not the other way around. It looks like congress has been searching it's couch cushions.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/31/autos/cash_for_clunkers_update/index.htm

Thats kind of what I thought but I took that right from the news report I read. You never what what obama has "changed" already so I thought maybe that was one of the things.

Remember......Communisim is "change"

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
Remember......Communisim is "change"

2X.

before ya know it the "U.S."/land of the free, wont be to far behind or different then Russia,china,north Korea,etc.

i think "cash for clunkers" is stupid. most Americans (such as myself) cant afford to get a new car or the bank wont them get one. so there stuck with there oil burning pile's that they half to rely on to get them around.

so really the only people that this "cash for clunkers" applies to is people that already have good cars and not to the people that need a new car.

they should spend that 2 billion on something thats going to benefit the vase Americans that have bad credit...not to the Americans that have good credit and have yet to loose there jobs cus of the economy bull s*&$ witch made allot of people with good credit have really bad credit.

just my 2 cents.

Caleb

they should spend that 2 billion on something thats going to benefit the vase Americans that have bad credit...not to the Americans that have good credit and have yet to loose there jobs cus of the economy bull s*&$ witch made allot of people with good credit have really bad credit.

Sorry, but that's one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time. This program isn't there to help people that need it, it's there to help the environment. It doesn't matter if the person make $5,000 a year or $500,000 a year, getting that same 12mpg car off the road is going to accomplish what they are after.

I'm not saying I agree with the program...but 9 times out of 10, bad credit falls 100% back to piss-poor money management and shouldn't be rewarded. Blame it on job loss, that's fine, but if you'd been living within your means, then loosing your job wouldn't have screwed your credit. ;)

OREGON85

from OREGON
I'm not saying I agree with the program...but 9 times out of 10, bad credit falls 100% back to piss-poor money management and shouldn't be rewarded. Blame it on job loss, that's fine, but if you'd been living within your means, then loosing your job wouldn't have screwed your credit. ;)

X2! I'm sick of all this crap about getting lending going again and stimulating the economy with more spending, and this program will just get more people into car payments they can't afford.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
what i was meaning is people that have the real shitty cars cant get rid of them cus there too poor or have bad credit in order to get a new car.
so they stay on the road,polluting the air or what have you.

like that jeep, really nice had lots of life left in it, NOT BURRING OIL OR LEAKING OIL or stuff like that. that jeep was not a burden on the environment by any means until they killed it.

but do you really think this program is good for the environment? just like battery powered cars, huh?
all that smoke coming from the engines, recycling the battery's,smelting some of the car's.....not very good for the inviorment.... in killing that jeep they probably caused more pollution then that jeep would have in a few years...and how is the new cars/trucks that everyone is picking up any different then say, that red jeep,Cheston's red car,my buddy's camero,or any of yours?

all run on gas or diesel and still polite. a very few might run on natural gas. but thats not a very big number compared to gas or diesel car's or trucks.

i just think they should spend that money on something thats actually going to do some good. lake bail California out of its massive debt :rofl:

Last edited:

krany

kranberry
It looks like just a taste of more bad stuff to come later!
What they did to that Jeep was B.S!
same with the toy. if your just gonna destroy the cars why not donate them to a person who can actually use them? and not fill up a junk yard:ugh: hell i would of took that toy in a hear beat....same with the jeep:greg:

ID Bronco

My tax dollars and yours paying for cars for people who drive new ones. Way better than what I have. Redistribution. People I work with think this is great, and they drive clunkers! What stupidity.

snccoulter

www.coulters-inc.com
it is a plan to control the populous even more. just watch when these people lose their job and lose the new car they will have to ride the buss and then they will be had by our government.

Dominic

My beef with the plan is that there needs to be guidelines on what vehicles to destroy. I could care less if some ratty Ford explorer gets smashed. However if someone rolls in with a vintage say 1966 Lincoln Continental that is a collectors piece even if it is in rough shape and shouldn't be destroyed. Also for people who are firing up cars that have been sitting in their yards for 2 years just to get the rebate, then we get to pay for it with taxes how is that fair?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My beef with the plan is that there needs to be guidelines on what vehicles to destroy. I could care less if some ratty Ford explorer gets smashed. However if someone rolls in with a vintage say 1966 Lincoln Continental that is a collectors piece even if it is in rough shape and shouldn't be destroyed. Also for people who are firing up cars that have been sitting in their yards for 2 years just to get the rebate, then we get to pay for it with taxes how is that fair?

Not that I'm in favor of this deal at all, but the two points you bring up:

You can't bring in a car more than 25 years old
The car has to be registered and insured for the previous year.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Something interesting I found...
The Ten Most Traded-In Vehicles (vehicle's EPA mileage)
1. 1998 Ford Explorer (14-17 mpg)
2. 1997 Ford Explorer (14-18 mpg)
3. 1996 Ford Explorer (14-18 mpg)
4. 1999 Ford Explorer (14-18 mpg)
5. Jeep Grand Cherokee
6. Jeep Cherokee
7. 1995 Ford Explorer (15-18 mpg)
8. 1994 Ford Explorer (15-18 mpg)
9. 1997 Ford Windstar (18 mpg)
10. 1999 Dodge Caravan (16-18 mpg)

from http://jalopnik.com/5328941/ten-most-traded+in-and-purchased-cash-for-clunkers-vehicles/gallery/

The "cash for clunkers" legislation has been in the works for years. Mainly an environmental push, but most analyses conclude that the environmental impact is negligible.

However if someone rolls in with a vintage say 1966 Lincoln Continental that is a collectors piece even if it is in rough shape and shouldn't be destroyed.

SEMA lobbied to institute the "25 year old" limit to avoid this very problem. Not only to prevent losing great classics (which would be worth more than the gov't trade-in value anyway), but also to keep potential parts cars out of the crushers.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
Is there a rule about what you can buy with this incentive? Can I trade a 97 KIA and get $4500 toward an 09 1 ton duelly with a low mpg engine, or am I stuck with a 4 cylinder compact car? If this is not the rule, then could it become the rule, eventualy? Sounds like a little legalized blackmail (sure we will let you drive that big SUV, but you have to pay for it yourself). In the end I wonder if this "free lunch" will end up costing us more than just money.
(Anyone ever heard the story about how to catch wild hogs by putting food out for them to eat, and then fencing them in one wall at a time)

Caleb

Is there a rule about what you can buy with this incentive? Can I trade a 97 KIA and get $4500 toward an 09 1 ton duelly with a low mpg engine, or am I stuck with a 4 cylinder compact car? If this is not the rule, then could it become the rule, eventualy? Sounds like a little legalized blackmail (sure we will let you drive that big SUV, but you have to pay for it yourself). In the end I wonder if this "free lunch" will end up costing us more than just money.
(Anyone ever heard the story about how to catch wild hogs by putting food out for them to eat, and then fencing them in one wall at a time)
Your trade scenario wouldn't be eligible. You can read the rules at www.cars.gov but basically the new vehicle you purchase has to get better mpg then the one you're trading. The better mpg the new car gets, the more credit you get, up to $4500.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
We deal strictly in used autos and are exempt from assistance. However, we have seen a substantial increase in customer traffic and sales. From the feedback we've received, it is being driven by poor experiences at new car dealers when trying to use the cash for clunkers option.