Cat Converter....

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
So does a cat converter make that much difference? I tried to get my IM done today and the first blow was 4 times what the limit was. I took off the Weber and installed a stock carb and it took it down to twice the limit. The jeep is an 86 CJ7 and has no Cat. If I add one do you think it will make a difference, I mean a significant difference?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
The guy I bought it from added a second muffler in front of the Flowmaster to quited it down some. So it looks like a... cat, sort of.

Max HC
15 mph 203
25 mph 188

Max Co2
15 mph 1.04
25 mph .94

Last Test
HC
15 mph 398
25 mph 315

Co2
15 mph 6.82
25 mph 1.15

Since the last test I have adjusted the timing from 4 degrees to 10 and leaned out the carb to have a vac of 15. Turning the vac in until it falls and then backing it out to the 15.
Cleaned the air filter (K&N)

Corban_White

I believe that the cat will only help on the HC. And yes, it will make a giant difference there, especially if you get it good and warm first. Having a warm engine should help in all departments. Also, if this isn't a DD I would run a tank thru it so you are running on fresh gas.

This has also helped me in the past. It is available at autozone, checker, etc.
4106WGZAJ5L._SL500_AA229_.gif

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
From my experience it is hard to pass the test with a totaly stock Late CJ in very good tune. You will never pass without the cat and even with it you have a fine line between too high HC and too high CO2 depending on how rich the POS carb is set.

Jesser04

I had similar problem with my 97 gmc It doesn't have a cat either. I put a gallon of toluene in it with 10 gallons of gas and it passed with flying colors. You can pick toluene up at your local paint store.

74highboy

i know it sounds odd but i have had good luck with using airbrake antifreeze can get it at any truck stop

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I had similar problem with my 97 gmc It doesn't have a cat either. I put a gallon of toluene in it with 10 gallons of gas and it passed with flying colors. You can pick toluene up at your local paint store.

Your truck doesn't get tail pipe tested, so not sure how that works, unless it makes you not get a check engine light?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out

Has anyone else done this? I have read that toluene is used for racing applications.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
probably a little late, but I'll chime in.

I had an '80 CJ with a 304. I had headers and cherry bombs (PO removed the IM stuff). I had a source that would overlook the visual as long as it passed the sniffer. It was always close, but passed every year with the motorcraft2100 carb. Eventually I lost my source, had to bring it to legal. I put the stock manifolds/cat/muffler system back on it and it went through cleaner then wifey's altima! Stayed that way till I sold it.

Lka1988

poor college student
My shop teacher said that a cat is just a bandaid for a problem that never got fixed...

And yes, a cat DOES affect CO AND NOx...well, depends if it's a 2-way or 3-way cat.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
my 85 use to always fail... thats when I learned that if you mix a tank of premium and some E85 gas together it clears with flying colors... I use to have numbers like what you posted... now they are way better then that...

Before you put the howells injection kit on... run Half a tank of prem and half a tank of e85 and see if it passes im....