Cb radio antenna help!

So i ended up buying and installing a uniden 538W in my truck. i tryed to install an antenna i got from raidio shack, but it was an epic fail. looks like they sold me a scanner antenna. aperrently thats different. so i returned it and have realized they dont know any more than i do about them. (which is nothing) lol so i need help finding a good one for my unit and perferably at a good price. I really like the look of the hood/ fender mounted whip slyle ones but im not sure if they'll work and i cant seem to find them locally. That is really what i want! guess i may have to go internet on this one. but i have no freakin idea what to look for. i tryed to reaserch how they worked and what not but it all seem to be written in geek. lol but anyways, i really dont care how it works, just that it does. Can anyone help me out on this one?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Finding a fender mount antenna locally is difficult. Different vehicles will have different mounts. Google your vehicle and fender mount for cb antennae to identify the style you want.

sixstringsteve

I've had great luck with my magnetic-mount k30 CB antenna that I got from Flying J. Flying J also has the fiberglass whip style, but those are tougher to install and require a good ground. You'll have to do some geek reading to understand how to ground the antenna. The magnetic mount antenna is removable and you don't need to ground it.

Omgbecki

X2 for the flying j idea. That have some great antennas. I'm trying to find a 102" whip because my radio is pushing over 100 watts and I don't really want to try to tune a antenna. The magnetic ones are a great deal for a regular radio though.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
X2 for the flying j idea. That have some great antennas. I'm trying to find a 102" whip because my radio is pushing over 100 watts and I don't really want to try to tune a antenna. The magnetic ones are a great deal for a regular radio though.

I have a few friends who run the Lil Wilson magnet mount with very high watt radios with great success.

i want to go with the fender/ hood mounts so i can keep them attached year round. magnetic mounts are cool when you only want them on for a trail. plus i like the look of the fender/ hood mounted ones. thanks for the help though. just not quite the direction i was looking at.

Omgbecki

If you can find a wilson you'd be in good hands. I know truck stops have them for around 60.00, or as mentioned you could get fiberglass ones also (brand name fire stick) for around 30. Besides the grounding issues I have heard that these are prone to breaking after a while of rocking back and forth, I.e. rocks.

sixstringsteve

Find what works best, not what looks best. CBs aren't for looking cool, they're for communicating; often in emergency situations. I didn't buy the mag mount because it's removable, I bought it because my CB sounds 5 times better and has a MUCH better range with it than with any of my past 3 fiberglass antennas. After 5 different antennas, I'm 100% sold on the magnetic mount antennas. I leave my magnetic mount antenna on year-round.

The more of your CB antenna sticks out above your vehicle, the better the reception you'll get. A little 3' antenna off your hood is only going to receive signals from ahead of you. You'll have a hard time hearing people behind you. If you can get it to stick out a few feet above the roof of your vehicle, you'll get much better reception/signal strength. If you have a fiberglass antenna sticking out 2 feet higher than your roof, it'll get destroyed by trees/branches.

*that hustler antenna looks great. I'd love to try one out sometime and see how it sounds.

Last edited:
the hustler looks good, basically the look i was going for. i didnt have any plans on a fiberglass one. i just read about a guy getting about five miles of range out of it. is that good or not very?

Omgbecki

Omgbecki

Out of curiosity, I just purchased a Wilson 500 Magnet Mount. We'll see how it compares to my K30.

I've heard k series are good but wilson is better. I know "my dad said"doesn't mean much to other puerile but I would take the advice of a veteran truck driver over just about anyone except a communications expert.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
the hustler looks good, basically the look i was going for. i didnt have any plans on a fiberglass one. i just read about a guy getting about five miles of range out of it. is that good or not very?
Any well-tuned radio and antenna system should be able to get five miles, but it really depends a lot on atmospheric conditions. Some days I can get as much as 20 or more miles( not including skip) , others only 3 miles.

A magnetic mount grounds to the vehicle through the magnet. Bolt on mounts require a good ground or you will have problems. The only fiberglass whip I would run is a Francis, because the wire is protected by the fiberglass instead of a thing plastic coating like most other fiberglass whips. I used to run Francis whips, but the fog builds up on them and kills them.