CCWs and LEOs

Bone Down

Tacoma said:
yeah, that's pretty goofy. You're still speeding!

I'm for stricter training requirments here in UT, btw. The state requirments do not mandate much in the way of marksmanship, nor is there any provision for more realistic training. I'd like to see CCW classes taught at the live-fire houses all police departments should have. :D It's one thing to have a CCW, another to be able to use it when you need to. Drawing from concealment, use of cover, engaging targets etc etc would be nice to see on the list of requirements IMHO.

I would welcome this... I use to (until lately) fire off about 2000-3000 rounds monthly, was going to engage in competition shooting, the one that greatly resembles the course that the officers have to run for traing... I can't think of th term that it is called though (it is driving me nutz.).

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Yes, it is the law that you inform the officer that you have a permit. I do exactly as Col. Mustard said, I keep my hands (and tell my passengers to do the same, if I have any) in plain view, inform the officer that I have a permit, am carrying, where it is, then ask what he/she would have me do. This puts the ball in their court and helps them feel in control. Last thing I want to do is to put the officer on edge. In my experiences being pulled over (three times so far), I was treated with respect and let go with a warning each time. A couple weeks ago I was stopped up AF Canyon at a DUI checkpoint. Even though the Sheriff never would've known that I was carrying, I told him anyway just to be sure. He immediately relaxed and joked with me about carrying in church.

To answer troutbum's second question, I've never been "made" by anyone that I know of, work or otherwise. I've been carrying for almost three years, and carry 95% of the time. Although, I was being fitted for a pair of pants, didn't have a chance to stash my gun in my car, and the lady taking the measurements must've been 75 years old. She felt around my waist, felt the bulge (yes, my gun, she wasn't copping a feel), paused for a second, then kept on like nothing happened. I imagine she knew what was going on, but didn't say anything. :greg:

Devin

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
troutbum said:
I also had a bad experience with a LEO and CCW, CCW tells the cop he is carrying the cop draws down on both of us....I am guessing this is extremely rare. Just wondering. :D

Not that rare. Something similar happened to my buddy on the way to St George after the cop asked if there was a round in the chamber and he responded that there was. Except the cop actually physically disarmed my buddy. I guess the cop thought that it was illegal to have one in the chamber.

Makes for a good story though.

:rofl:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I guess the cop thought that it was illegal to have one in the
chamber.

Unless you have a CCW, it is. You may have a loaded mag in the gun, but none in the pipe. You didnt' say whether your friend had a CCW or not, and I dont' want to assume.

V-DAWG

someday
YES, YOU MUST INFORM THE OFFICER YOU HAVE YOUR PERMIT and you are carrying. It is also much more courteous to let them know if you have a permit and are not carrying so they don't have to wonder. A CCW is part of your driver license information, so the police will know anyway.

If you do not inform the police officer, there is the possibility that the officer could forward the info to BCI and your permit could be revoked.

If you carry properly, no one should know you are carrying. There are so many different holsters that can be applied to just about anything you choose to wear- just be sure you know how to safely draw the weapon and put it away.

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
Tacoma said:
Unless you have a CCW, it is. You may have a loaded mag in the gun, but none in the pipe. You didnt' say whether your friend had a CCW or not, and I dont' want to assume.

It was a traffic stop. The only reason the cop new he had a gun is because he gave him his CCP.

phillippi

Never enough time
DevinB said:
A couple weeks ago I was stopped up AF Canyon at a DUI checkpoint. Even though the Sheriff never would've known that I was carrying, I told him anyway just to be sure. He immediately relaxed and joked with me about carrying in church.

Devin

LOL that was me! I would rather know where the gun was then to find out later.

Jeromy

Tacoma said:
It's one thing to have a CCW, another to be able to use it when you need to. Drawing from concealment, use of cover, engaging targets etc etc would be nice to see on the list of requirements IMHO.

The teacher I had went way beyond what was required. We did a ton of that stuff. Was one of the best 50$ I ever spent. It took us three full nights to finish his class. :D

DrMoab

Tacoma said:
my instructor was Terry Thompson of F.I.T. in Ogden, if memory serves he's a weapons instructor w/UHP, and taught a great class. I higly recommend him.
Was this at Sportsmans Warehouse? That name sounds familar...Just wondering if it was the same guy who taught my class. Seems he was a weapons instructor for someone too.

Nope take that back he was an Ogden cop...Either way he also made sure we knew to tell the officer if you were carrying.

On a side note...I have been pulled over twice when I was not carrying and did not show them my CCW. I never got asked if I was carrying.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
Back when I was a cop (I was only on the road for 5 1/2 months) I only stopped
one person that I knew was a CCP, when I asked for his DL (he was speeding) he handed me 2 IDs, when I saw one was a CCP it seemed the hair on the back of my neck layed down a bit and I felt a little more comfortable (perhaps knowing that he DID have a gun and he was PROBABLY not going to use it on me), I wrote him a TICKET and let him go. I didn't care WHERE he had a weapon, or even if he had it with him at all. When you stop ANYONE you are trained to assume they MAY have a gun (not that you approach them with yours drawn), but when they tell you they have one, and a permit to carry one, it takes the guessing game away. :-\ :ugh:
When I ran his DL the dispatcher did tell me he had CCP, and I would have wondered why he didn't show/tell me, if he hadn't.