CDL guys.. hazmat?

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Any of you guys with a CDL have hazmat? I am considering getting mine and was curious if its a difficult test. How long did it take to get the background check done and was it part of the test or separate? Anything special I should study for? Thanks!

PBandCJ

like the "sam-itch"
the back ground check is sperate and took me about two weeks, the testing is about the same multiple choice questions ,it will add tanker endosments to

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
2 weeks is the avg for the back ground. I think it is still $100. And how is Tanker the same as Hazmat? Double and Triples, Tanker, Hazmat, are all separate endorsements.

N8RB8R

2 weeks is the avg for the back ground. I think it is still $100. And how is Tanker the same as Hazmat? Double and Triples, Tanker, Hazmat, are all separate endorsements.

Tanker and hazmat are covered by one endorsement and it is, X-Tank&Hazardous materials. Pretty easy test, I read that chapter in the parking lot and went in and took the multiple choice and passed easy, my background check took two weeks and at that time the only finger print place to do it was in Salt Lake.

SmokinCamel

Tanker and hazmat are covered by one endorsement and it is, X-Tank&Hazardous materials. Pretty easy test, I read that chapter in the parking lot and went in and took the multiple choice and passed easy, my background check took two weeks and at that time the only finger print place to do it was in Salt Lake.

I sees. Is there a normal tanker endorsement still? And just Hazmat?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
By golly, I just found out I can drive a tanker!

FYI, you have to take the HAZMAT test and you have to pass the background check (including fingerprinting) every time you renew your CDL.

SmokinCamel

By golly, I just found out I can drive a tanker!

FYI, you have to take the HAZMAT test and you have to pass the background check (including fingerprinting) every time you renew your CDL.

Damn things are changin. Just got done talkin to a friend I used to run with. $130 for the backgound and 2-3 weeks for the return. And he explained the hazmat/tanker thing. Interesting.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I only paid $94 in February when I renewed mine. Wish I didn't need the endorsement. I've only needed to placard 3 loads in the last 5 years.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I just got a notice in the mail that I need to renew my background check. Not real sure if I want to even keep my cdl. I haven't used it in like 4 years. I guess in these times it's worth it just in case something happens. Makes me a bit more valuable.

rambrush

Yea mine is Az but again I have not used it in several years but its easier to keep than need it and not have it.
Like posted its money in the bank