Chain maintenance

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
So, I've got to confess I'm bad at chains. I usually buy the sticky aerosol lube and spray them down on the outside edge before a ride. I know you're supposed to do the inside edge, but when I spray the outside it gets all over the chains and sprockets anyway. Then I spray them off from a distance with the power washer when cleaning the bike. When they get awfully gummed up, I brush them off with a steel wire brush.

What's the right way to care for chains? I've heard everything from zero lube because it attracts grit, to soaking them in gear oil. What's a good, affordable lube? How do you keep them clean?

Udink

I don't know if my way is the right way, but I clean the chain with a grunge brush (plastic bristles are easier on O-ring chains) and some soapy water. After it's dry I spray Dupont Chain-Saver wax-based lube on it. Going two years on the same chain and it still looks and works great.

Tonkaman

I use Maxima chain wax applied to a warmed up chain (by riding around a few minutes).

For clean up I use a chain brush, and maxima chain cleaner.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I use Maxima chain wax applied to a warmed up chain (by riding around a few minutes).

For clean up I use a chain brush, and maxima chain cleaner.

This. Or degreaser to clean.
Motorcycle magazine also debunked the myth that WD-40 will ruin your chain's o-rings by soaking o-rings in WD-40 for a week or two and saw no degradation at all, so clean it with WD-40 if you like, just wax/ lube it after.

I like wax better than lube, for me, it makes less mess and dirt sticks to it less.