Changes to Cliff Hanger trail?

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
I haven't run Cliff Hanger in Moab for a couple years and was discussing running that trail in October with some friends.

One of my friends from Colorado told me that he had heard the trail had been made easier recently. Specifically he said the steps at the trail head were "leveled up".

Is that right?

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
The last time I ran it was in 07 so it can't be that far back.

My friend said the steps and many obstacles were all filled in recently.

Maybe something like what was posted back then... happened again.

Has anyone seen it lately?

notajeep

Just me
Every few years they (gas company?) have to go in and do maintenance on the pipeline at the top. They even out all the rough spots.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
The last time I was on Cliffhanger was March of this year, and other than some minor work done by RR4W on a couple of obstacles, there had been no improvements. I haven't heard of anything major being done up there recently.

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
Thanks.

Doesn't sound like my friend in Denver heard correctly.

Good......because I like that trail and am looking forward to it in October.

TheJeepGuy

cliff hanger

your friend did hear right, maybe a year or two ago they did some work on it and made it pretty easy but since then it has been getting tore up again and starting to be fun but it is still not near as mean as it used to be. there are several parts that will never be the same but oh well at least we get to still go on it!:)

STPPINZ

The only area I really noticed that was considerably easier was the sharp right after the last large step. It used to be a pretty nasty V with a drop off but now it is filled in with concrete and no problem at all. It is still one of my favorite trails.

Last edited:

choptopbII

The only area I really noticed that was considerably easier was the sharp right after the last large step. It used to be a pretty nasty V with a drop off but now it is filled in with concrete and no problem at all. It is still one of my favorite trails.

Concrete???? :eek:

I ran cliffhanger back in November of last year and it was still the same with the big ledges.

STPPINZ

Concrete???? :eek:

I ran cliffhanger back in November of last year and it was still the same with the big ledges.

It could of been covered up by now, but I remember it was right after that last large ledge about a hundred feet after the main group of ledges when the trail takes a 90 degree right turn and down into the stream bed.

I just remember it being a really nasty off camber drop off next to a ledge and now it is not even difficult. I have some pictures some where...I will have to find them.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
We ran it a few weeks ago. We didn't run the whole trail, only up to where you could see the river, just before the Cliffhanger obstacle. Everything from the beginning up until there was about the same as it was before they smoothed it all out. It's still a fun, challenging trail.

That particular ledge is just as big and nasty as it was originally, not terribly hard but it makes you think.

roverrocks

Ran Cliff Hanger last Saturday 9-5-09 at the RR4W Labor Day Event. None of us noticed anything different or easier. At least nobody I heard talking. Seemed the same as when I ran it last during the summer 2008. If anything some areas/ledges seemed more dugout than before.