Changing tires

Caleb

So what's involved in changing tires? My new ones are supposed to show up tomorrow and I'd like to put them on myself. Is it like doing a bicycle tire...just a bit tougher? Anything specific I need to be aware of? Are there alignment issues, how about balancing (is it necessary)? Anything (tools, hints, etc) that will make it easier (I'm picking up some tire irons that will go on the trail with me that I will use).

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's not bad at all, just get some quality tire spoons and have at it. Its much easier using 3 spoons, versus 2. I would upgrade the tubes to HD tubes while you're in there. Also use baby powder on the tube and inside the tire, that will keep the tube from pinching or getting hung up as you inflate it.

After you get the old ones off and you're putting the new one on, mount one bead over the wheel, then install the tube inside the tire. I always put a little air in the tube before I insert it, so it will hold it's shape. Lining up the valve stem with the hole in the wheel is always fun, take your time and you'll get it. Then carefully work the 2nd bead, being careful not to pinch the tube. Don't get greedy with how much tire you're folding over the wheel, especially towards the end. Little bites at a time will save the bead of your tires.

Does your bike have rim locks? That will add to the challenge, not much though. They just need to be loosened before you dis-mount the old & re-mount the new tires.

Caleb

Cool, thanks for the info guys! No rim locks. I've read a few write-ups and they always had rim locks...so I'm glad I don't (for now :D).

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Take your time and do it right, be careful with the tube... there's nothing more frustrating than mounting up a new tire & tube, only to air it up, go riding and find out you have a flat because you pinched a tube. Been there, done that... no good. :rolleyes:

Caleb

Sweet, that video made it look pretty easy. :D I'm actually planning on heading down to Rocky Mountain ATV on Saturday to pickup the tire irons (and tubes and liners), I'll have to pickup a bead buddy and that valve stem puller :cool:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Sweet, that video made it look pretty easy. :D I'm actually planning on heading down to Rocky Mountain ATV on Saturday to pickup the tire irons (and tubes and liners), I'll have to pickup a bead buddy and that valve stem puller :cool:

for a couple of bucks, RMATV will dismount and mount it for you-_-

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
That's funny I actually prefer one large spoon and one small one that locks to a spoke vs. three.... More than two seems to just get in the way for me.

Good advise so far. I punch a hole in the rim band so that the rim lock bolt goes through it instead of placing the band over the top of the lock (if that makes sense) This makes things a bit easier for me. Also a bit of talc powder helps seat the bead ;)

Changing tires becomes a breeze once you do a couple. I can remember one dunes trip in particular when I changed 18 tires over to paddles in one night!!! :ugh: The things a high-school kid will do for a little cash :rofl:

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
I got pretty good at it then one day went throu 3 tubes before taking it to a shop to do. I was on a time cruch or I still would have done it myself. To much dough at a shop:eek: