Toyota Changing to a 3 link set-up

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Hey everybody want to axe u a question. I have a 1991 4runner and i'm building a custom 4 inch lift for it but i have run into a problem in the rear. With 4inch lift coils i most likly wil have to retore the angles of the links back to parallel to the ground, i thought to do this i could lengthen the links to lessen binding and make new brackets to mount on the axle.
Heres the Problem the top right link which is triangluated has teh gas tank right in front of it with no room to spare, and moving the gas tank is not a option right now, due to a tight i mean tight budget. So the solution that I came up with is to ditch teh 4th link and just make it a three link system, the bottom two links are straight and lined up with the frame and there is a panhard bar, oviously because the coil suspension, and the two uppers are trangulated. So what do you think? Don't mess with the 5 link factory set up or just do a three link? If a the three Link is a good option then can some one give me some guidance on length and set up i'm a little lost as this is my first big build. Thanks and Let me know what you think

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Not sure exactly what are you asking...

By saying your uppers are triangulated, I'm assuming you mean the small amount that the stock uppers have...Not enough traingulation to locate the axle without the track bar, but it is enough that it'd bind if you put a stiffer joint (heim or similar) in place of the squishy stock rubber ones on the arms.

If you beef up the mounts, and make your long arm upgrade (including a longer, single upper) and keep the track bar, that should work ok.

Granted, I don't know you from Bubba, and you may be a natural fabricator, but I'll warn you about the project...For anybody (ESPECIALLY for your first build,) making this drive right and be safe is gonna be a BIG project. Even more so if this is a daily-driver. Lengths, angles, separation and such are really important. Problem is that there are so many variables in a project like this, that you shouldn't trust some internet fabricator (me?;))to tell you what exactly to do. You need to find someone who is experienced with jobs like this, and have them help (at least "consult") IN PERSON with the project. Or maybe have a reputable shop tackle this one, and hang around enough to see what's going on.

That's my thoughts. :)

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I see your point and i was feeling a little lost on the geometry of it all, as for the fab work i don't know if i'm a natural but i seem to have nack for it, i fabed a custom reciever that comes out of the middle of my bumper and i'm in the middle of a few other things for the 4runner. Sorry the question was unclear but i simply should of put " is it better to leave the stock suspenion and just make new brackets to level it with the lift or should i change it to a three link" I appreicate the advice, i think at this point though i decided to go with the stock suspension links and just make new brackets to make the links level again, but if someone else has any ideas or tricks about the 2nd gen 4runners suspenion i'm open to ideas