Chatter in frontend?

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
My 87 DD has a rough chatter in the front divers side (i'm pretty sure)when in four wheel. It does it when I let off the gas at highway speeds, slow or high. The only way to get it to stop is if i unlock the hubs or step on the brakes, if i just put in 2 hi with it locked in its 10 times worse. It's missing the springs on the calipers between the pads i noticed. Does anybody think this would cause it? Its not in the diff i just swapped it for another one cause one of the half shafts sheared the clip holding it in and chewed the splines a little. It has no problem though in 2-wheel. I haven't messed with the IFS on these much, other than torching it out for sas, and don't see the springs making this much of a problem. Am i wrong? Sorry so long. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
88 Runner SAS said:
My 87 DD has a rough chatter in the front divers side (i'm pretty sure)when in four wheel. It does it when I let off the gas at highway speeds, slow or high. The only way to get it to stop is if i unlock the hubs or step on the brakes, if i just put in 2 hi with it locked in its 10 times worse. It's missing the springs on the calipers between the pads i noticed. Does anybody think this would cause it? Its not in the diff i just swapped it for another one cause one of the half shafts sheared the clip holding it in and chewed the splines a little. It has no problem though in 2-wheel. I haven't messed with the IFS on these much, other than torching it out for sas, and don't see the springs making this much of a problem. Am i wrong? Sorry so long. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx

I'd fix what you KNOW to be wrong. I'm not any kind of a Toy expert, however. Sometimes while fixing the known problem, you'll run across the actual problem or you'll fix the symptom. At least you'll KNOW what's wrong or right after fixing

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
One thing to check (while you're fixing what you are aware of) is the brass bushing inside the spindle, the outer stub shaft rides in it. They can wear, so the hole is no longer any kind of snug fit, so the outer shaft can just wobble around in there and make noise.

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
I Lean said:
One thing to check (while you're fixing what you are aware of) is the brass bushing inside the spindle, the outer stub shaft rides in it. They can wear, so the hole is no longer any kind of snug fit, so the outer shaft can just wobble around in there and make noise.

I heard somebody talking about those before. I'll check it out thanx. By the way how's that tube buggy working out for ya? Last time i seen it it was just a few pieces of tube sitting on saw horses.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
88 Runner SAS said:
I heard somebody talking about those before. I'll check it out thanx. By the way how's that tube buggy working out for ya? Last time i seen it it was just a few pieces of tube sitting on saw horses.

Wow, that has been a while, huh? That thing got finished up and running in February of last year, and I've been beating the tar out of it ever since. It's showing a bit of wear now, but it's working better than ever. :cool:

troutbum

cubi-kill
88 Runner SAS said:
Yes they are fine. I check all that when i had the front diff out.
I doubt it is the calipers, sounds like it does not happen under load, only when coasting? and not at all when the front is not engaged. Not knowing Toys I would listen to Carl, but sure sounds a lot like DL slop, either the joints or the flanges.