cheap 4 wheel steering

BII_freebee

today i was watching extreme 4x4 on spike and they showed a rock crawler that steered from the rear by just locking up that one side of the rear. now here is my question with a locker or a spool is this possible or would you need to have a limited slip diff. this lookes like a cool idea for a trail rig. this is my idea I want to make it so I can control the E-brake on either side so if I want to lock up one side i just have to pull that side on the e brake, of course i would have two levers one for each side. Another idea I was thinking about was making the rear brake system seperate and controling the pressure to the rear brakes with two extra master cylinders and boosters one for each side of the rear in the cab with levers but my biggest thing is the locker problem i need all 4 wheels to turn to make it an efficient rock crawler. This seems like it would work pretty good so any ideas or if you've heard of a kit let me know. I'm too damn cheap for the four wheel steering.

By the way I finally picked up my D44 for 80 bucks with a bad pinion. i do need some radius arms if anyone would want to sell some that they have extra laying around for an 78 bronco.

Dart

Banned
Ya it is call a steer brake. I missed the show toady. but I bet it had a Atlas in it. The just shift to front and lock up the rear. Most guys like to lock both and drag the tires, or lock just one.

It is like a tractor brakes. But you need to unlock the drive to the rear, or can you? Some one answer that for me, I have a idea.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The park brake route is probably the easiest way to pull this off. You need to be able to run in front drive only, but I don't know what you're running for a transfer case. And this really doesn't work with a spool, but with mechanical lockers it works fine.

Personally, why bother? You're not dodging cones in a trail rig. Reverse is a lot less hassles.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Oh, I see your point. Popping the trans out of gear, then reaching down and shifting the t case to front drive, grab a brake, do your little front dig, then back out of gear, shift to four low again, trans back in gear, then just punch it! Yup, easy enough....... :rolleyes:

I'll stick with my original statement. On a trail rig, why????

I love my cutting brakes, I'm not dodging cones but in tight areas it makes it much easier to side the front over just enough.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Oh, I see your point. Popping the trans out of gear, then reaching down and shifting the t case to front drive, grab a brake, do your little front dig, then back out of gear, shift to four low again, trans back in gear, then just punch it! Yup, easy enough....... :rolleyes:

I'll stick with my original statement. On a trail rig, why????

I just knew you wouldn't get it. Don't "cut it" until you have tried it. Besides, I doubt that shinny yeller thing will ever get into a spot that you would need one. :rofl:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
ps,

All I have to do is pull one lever and the rear axle is out, pull another to lock up one side.

You are trying to make it seem harder than it really is.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Kids..... My Toyota had em remember??? Yeah, I've run them. No, the LJ wont get them. Why you ask?? I dont need them.

Nope, don't remember,
I didn't ask, I don't care,
Good, YOU don't need them that doesn't mean others might not like them.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
It's not that "I" don't need them, I don't think a trail rig needs them. Yeah, they're kinda cool. but so is full hydo steering, steel shot in the tires, and the hundreds of other mods we can do. Is it required to have a good trail rig? Personally, I'll take my A/C and satelite radio over cutting brakes any day for an enjoyable trail ride....