cheap link suspension

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You know that guy JR That has the baddest ass Bronco ever? He has said he wants to cap his lower rock rails with pipe. So there it is girls, pipe is now bling. ;) Anyone ever try bending pipe in a JD2 bender? try it. You will think DOM is butter. :rolleyes: That said, Spence has probably the cheapest solution. Single wishbone with a huge joint at the t-case. Less parts to buy, less material to buy.

shmoesmith

I read a great article on poo pipe written by an engineer and how it is not neccesarily a bad thing to build with..i will try and find the article and post it. he posted strength specs and everything

tuck

spud crawler
I guess the debate was inevitable..

DOM is better than pipe. I won't argue that. However, I don't think it's so much better that it justifies the cost in every situation.

IMO- There are applications where pipe isn't suitable.. however, there are also applications where DOM isn't necessary. Here's my argument.

1. Pipe has worked, and continues to work as a suspension link material, skid material, bumper material, and even rollcage material. (if you want to prove this argument wrong, show us some failures of pipe)

2. DOM is not the top of the todem pole of tubing. You guys who preach "build it right the first time" should look into some other materials for links if you think DOM is as strong as it gets.

3. Construction is critical. Material isn't the only consideration in building a suspension link (or any component). Sleeving the link can multiply its strength, and the manner in which the link end is attached is very critical to the overall strength of the link. So, if you want to talk about an axle breaking off the rig, let's talk about good link building techniques in addition to link material.

I'm not an expert on metallgury, link suspension or anything. That's why I posted, to gather information on building a link suspension on a budget. That information has sorta been smothered in a pissing match about being "cheap" and pipe vs. tube. I think there are probably still some good tips out there, so let's hear it. :D

grinch

inner city redneck
There is a guy who runs a funky square tubing suspention set up in the UROC comps... He beats the piss out of it all day and never breaks a thing. It only runs 1 big ass Heim joint on the link and 2 on the pan hard bar. This single link looks like the upper link on a 3 link setup but are mounted to the axle solid i.e. no bushings,heims, nothing
The panhard bar controlls side to side movment and 3 limiting straps controll the droop of the axle....
If this makes sence. I have watched this set up for awhilw and will be copying it this winter on my rig..... I hardly doubt that if he cant destroy 2" square tubing in a comp that im going to break mine on a trail....

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
grinch said:
There is a guy who runs a funky square tubing suspention set up in the UROC comps... He beats the piss out of it all day and never breaks a thing. It only runs 1 big ass Heim joint on the link and 2 on the pan hard bar. This single link looks like the upper link on a 3 link setup but are mounted to the axle solid i.e. no bushings,heims, nothing
The panhard bar controlls side to side movment and 3 limiting straps controll the droop of the axle....
If this makes sence. I have watched this set up for awhilw and will be copying it this winter on my rig..... I hardly doubt that if he cant destroy 2" square tubing in a comp that im going to break mine on a trail....
Is this the guy with the yellow CJ with a Fugly grill? That is the one I have seen. He has airbags on it too and uses Land Rover control arms on the front.

grinch

inner city redneck
I forgot about that guy.... yes he runs them to..... but he is not the one im looking at... Its a black buggy with coilovers.... I belive but not totally sure that it is one of jason paulys crew....(if it is its one of the older rigs)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
grinch said:
I forgot about that guy.... yes he runs them to..... but he is not the one im looking at... Its a black buggy with coilovers.... I belive but not totally sure that it is one of jason paulys crew....(if it is its one of the older rigs)

I've seen that Link setup, what's really wierd about it is how it's one 'Y' Link that is bolted to the axle! Yes, BOLTED!! It's a strange setup, I have a pic.... somewhere.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
I think what is being missed is the word "cheap" but I honestly don't think cheap and 4link(or any link type)can be used in the same sentence. It is what your budget allows you to do(my budget sucks :( but I have been acquiring parts overtime)

I'm diffently not argueing whether or not pipe is good for links. You have guys building bumpers, sliders and even sleeving there tubing on links with it.

There is pics of guys all over the web that have done what you are asking.

My choice is 2"x.250 DOM and 1.5"x.250 DOM.

Do it. I would like to see how it works for you.

Joel

cheapzuk said:
were do you get threaded rod like the ones that they are using in the link. Is it stong enough use for suspension. How much is it.

It's a version of allthread called B-7. I bought some 1" stuff from www.apachesales.com and it wasn't too expensive at all. I cut it into section and welded it to some RE superflex joints so that my links have some adjustability in them (Only made one side adjustable).

Joel said:
It's a version of allthread called B-7. I bought some 1" stuff from www.apachesales.com and it wasn't too expensive at all. I cut it into section and welded it to some RE superflex joints so that my links have some adjustability in them (Only made one side adjustable).

I sell B7 studs everyday at work. If anyone needs a hook up..........

Chuck
A&T Bolt
379 W. 6500 S.

cheapzuk

Is this b7 allthread strong enough and safe enough to run on the road. Can I get nuts for It too. I see that everybody is using dom tube. Why doesn't anybody use ERW to save on the cost a little bit. Also were is the cheapest place to buy tube. Sorry about all the questions, I am still learning.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Greg said:
I've seen that Link setup, what's really wierd about it is how it's one 'Y' Link that is bolted to the axle! Yes, BOLTED!! It's a strange setup, I have a pic.... somewhere.
The one I saw was U-bolted to the old spring pads on the axle. It used a centering pin just like leaf springs do. IT is actually 1960's tech. All the 1/2 ton and most 3/4 ton Chev trucks (not blazers) used this basic setup from 62-66.

grinch

inner city redneck
Hicky the set up im talking about is basicly how greg described..... 60's tec or not im impressed with how well it handles and works... Im surprised I havent seen more setup like this....
In fact i cant think of a cheaper way to set up a link suspention... Im gonna give it a try this winter and if I decide next summer I hate it I can always change it to somthing else....

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
grinch said:
Hicky the set up im talking about is basicly how greg described..... 60's tec or not im impressed with how well it handles and works... Im surprised I havent seen more setup like this....
In fact i cant think of a cheaper way to set up a link suspention... Im gonna give it a try this winter and if I decide next summer I hate it I can always change it to somthing else....
I totally agree that it works. I actually began stting up a friends Jeep with this, but he changed his mind mid stream. I think it would be very successful on light weight rig.

Greg

Admin
Hickey said:
The one I saw was U-bolted to the old spring pads on the axle. It used a centering pin just like leaf springs do. IT is actually 1960's tech. All the 1/2 ton and most 3/4 ton Chev trucks (not blazers) used this basic setup from 62-66.

Yeah, kinda like those I-Beam/Coil suspensions on the 60's GM Trucks, except this one is all one piece.

Here's the rig... It's Terry Howe's Buggy, he seems to be using something similar (Square Tube, bolted to the axle) in the Front, too.

Attachments

• Greg's Pics 981.reduced.jpg
    Greg's Pics 981.reduced.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Greg's Pics 981.2.reduced.jpg
    Greg's Pics 981.2.reduced.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 26

Greg

Admin
That thing boggled my mind the first time I saw it... Super simple & it worked well. Not much for adjustibility, but hey, if it works....

I can't remember what the Frame end of the 'Y' was, but it had to be super-beefy.

grinch

inner city redneck
greg thats the exact set up im talking about but on a different rig lol... looks like a few more people are running it than i rember.... Im also leaning on using the nitrogen charged shocks instead of coilovers... supposedly they hold a weight of 500 pounds each.... with me running only tubing in the back i think i can get away with this setup insted of coils or coilovers....
anyhow its worth a try for somthing new..