Cheap wheeler -- Samurai--?

MattL

So.. pondering.

Wheeling is expensive. Lately people have seemed to hop on the Cherokee build. I like Cherokees but looking to flat tow it with a lil truck. This limits my options if any at all.

I never really liked samurai's until recently. Not that i like them, just curious. I started looking at all the different options and there is quite a market for them.

Who has wheeled one?

I have had a cj5 full sized truck, several Cherokees, currently a toy truck and liked them all except the full size for wheeling.

I would really like a cj7 or a yj cause its bigger but looking at all possibilities. I really dont know if i could flat to a cj or yj behind a Tacoma. Any opinions?

I have seen several nicely set up sami's for cheep. I know there are sami wheelers here. Im looking for your opinion.

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
I am in the process of building a cheap Sami. I got an 87 tin top for free from my brother, with lots of rust and not running. Used a cut off wheel, some metal and lots of bondo for the rust... and YJ flares to cover, my now much larger, wheel well openings. Painted it with a gallon of rustoleum and a roller.... yeah i am cheap.. haha

burke

What year tacoma? I have an 06 with the 4.0 and i have flat towed a few times and it does great. i plan on flat-towing my scrambler to moab.
I would go for a 7 or yj and build it nice enough to drive. You can find really find good deals on both and they would be a lot more capable as a apart time driver. I drove a samurai once to Price and I thought about ditching it half way and hitch-hiking. But there are some cool ones out there.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
The downside to flat towing is what if you have a axle problem or other problem where you can't flat tow. Then your in the smae boat and screwed. What are your wheeling plans with it?

MattL

I just want to get back out and have fun. I have done minimal wheeling in the last several years and would really like to get back to having some wheeling fun.
I was thinking of buying a Tacoma for daily driving and the minimal towing.
I wanted a newer vehicle (hence Tacoma) but being a cheap ass maybe I wont.
I currently have a 94 toy that has taken me everywhere I have wanted to go so far(with in reason). Maybe ill just build up the toy for some dual usage. Might be cheaper that way anyway.

I hear ya on the flat towing. that thought had crossed my mind as well.

I think really it comes to change. I seem to go through a vehicle every couple of years and may be this is what is going on.

O'neal

?????????
I am in the process of building a cheap Sami. I got an 87 tin top for free from my brother, with lots of rust and not running. Used a cut off wheel, some metal and lots of bondo for the rust... and YJ flares to cover, my now much larger, wheel well openings. Painted it with a gallon of rustoleum and a roller.... yeah i am cheap.. haha

Nothing wrong with that.For a wheeler/beater that's gonna get banged up.

Coco

Samurais are a blast there will go places you couldn't imagine, (do to there small size) I have one, locked f&r, with 5:14, in the t case, and 5:12 in the axles. Max. speed is around 65 mph, but it is street legal, and will go everywhere.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'd say go the dual usage route, and put some time into your 94 Pickup. Dual transfer cases, lockers and things like that are sweet upgrades that are (for the most part) really inexpensive when compared to a whole new rig. If you don't have that stuff already that is. Just a thought.

Andrew

travK5

hey, going up. I want to more about your samuri. Are you running the stock axles and axle shafts? What lift? What carb? Any problems with it flooding out? I noticed you have 33x12.5, is that too much for the axles ie. do you break your axles a lot? I am very curious about the suzukis. I had a sidekick a long time ago and thought that it was a blast! I have had a 72 k5, locked up etc, etc, etc,. Also a 98 TJ 4 popper with a lift, open diffs. Also a 96 discovery, with a 2" lift. I am now back in the market for something to play with again, but want it to be cheap, and easy to work on. I like fuel injection, like the sidekicks, but I also like solid front axles. So I am thinking about doing a solid axle sidekick that is still street legal. What do you think??

Thanks

leorn

reset
Being a toy guy I really like sammy's. Cheap and lightweight come to mind. If I were to do one it would be toy axles, wheelbase stretch and engine swap. Some came with fuel injection which may eliminate the engine swap.

Since you already have the toy, it may be your cheapest option and least amount of work. It all depends on your goals.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I will preface this by saying that I was indoctrinated in Samurai culture from a very young age:
Samurai's are kinda like Wonder Bread, simple and can be used in any fashion that you want. My Samurai is set up to be a dual purpose vehicle, both my daily driver and my wheeler. Its running a mild lift (just shy of two inches), 235/75 MTR's, LockRight in the rear diff and a 4:1 T-Case. Off road my only real hindrance is ground clearance (and a wonky carb), so I pick my lines accordingly and I've never had a problem on any trail up to a 4+.
Now, on the other side of my setup is the extreme. Samurai's are light, simply built and thats about that. People throw everything and the kitchen sink into them. Dana 44's, V8's Toyota transfer cases you name it I've seen it done. And you know what all of them say? 'Yeah, and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than a Jeep!' The Samurai is a great platform to build a buggy from, if thats your shtick.
When all is said and done, even taking away my childhood exposure, I'd probably still pick a Samurai because they are small, simple and cheap. If you can find one in decent condition, pick it up!

Coco

I will preface this by saying that I was indoctrinated in Samurai culture from a very young age:
Samurai's are kinda like Wonder Bread, simple and can be used in any fashion that you want. My Samurai is set up to be a dual purpose vehicle, both my daily driver and my wheeler. Its running a mild lift (just shy of two inches), 235/75 MTR's, LockRight in the rear diff and a 4:1 T-Case. Off road my only real hindrance is ground clearance (and a wonky carb), so I pick my lines accordingly and I've never had a problem on any trail up to a 4+.
Now, on the other side of my setup is the extreme. Samurai's are light, simply built and thats about that. People throw everything and the kitchen sink into them. Dana 44's, V8's Toyota transfer cases you name it I've seen it done. And you know what all of them say? 'Yeah, and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than a Jeep!' The Samurai is a great platform to build a buggy from, if thats your shtick.
When all is said and done, even taking away my childhood exposure, I'd probably still pick a Samurai because they are small, simple and cheap. If you can find one in decent condition, pick it up!

Mine is also a dual purpose. I have been able to do any trail thus far, (up to a 5) in my sami. Works great for both purposes.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I currently have a 94 toy that has taken me everywhere I have wanted to go so far(with in reason). Maybe ill just build up the toy for some dual usage. Might be cheaper that way anyway.

This is what I'd do.

Right now I'm trying to sell my Samurai, and maybe get another rig that I can drive on the streets then do some trails.