chemistry 1210 question

sibeta

Hey is anybody a whiz at chemistry? I cannot figure out this problem or even get it started. The problem is as follows: How many grams of potassium,K, react, if 1.00 grams of hydrogen gas, is produced when the potassium reacts with water according to the following equation?

2K + 2 H20 -> 2 KOH + H2

someone posted it on the internet but i cannot figure out their method. Hopefully someone can help, thanks.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Some internet guy said:
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
2K(s) + 2H2O(l) --> 2KOH(aq) + H2(g)

Ionic equation

2K(s) + 2H2O(l) --> 2K+ + 2OH- + H2(g)

Ok. What's the question?

There are pretty good reasons why this is not a recommended demonstration. Potassium can easily form unstable peroxides and superoxides that can explosively decompose when cutting into a sample of potassium even if it has been stored in kerosene.
Source(s):
I'm a chemistry teacher, and have been for over 35 years.
2 years ago

Google search netted me this!
No I'm not a Chemistry teacher nor do I play one on T.V.

From here...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080723121702AAUrFpa

sibeta

yeah i saw that on the internet but it isnt making sense to me how they did it. I have got to be able to explain what i am doing to my professor.

Ogre Palowakski

I think I got it.

The easiest way to do it is with an equation that accounts for molar equivalents and molar masses of the reactants and products. If the equation is set up correctly, you can cancel out things and make sure you end up with the correct answer in the correct units.

Here goes...

1 g H2 x 1 mol H2 / 2.015 g H2 x 2 mol K / mol H x 39.1 g K / mol K = 38.809 g K (or pretty close to 39.1 if you round up).

Here's how it works... you can tell from your original equation that one "quantity" of H2 is produced from 2 "quantities" of K. The "quantity" is expressed in moles, or "mol".

You work backwards using a balanced equation where you convert the moles of H2 to grams H2 (using the molar mass of Hydrogen gas, which is equal to 2 x the molar mass of hydrogen on the periodic table, and the molar mass of potassium, from the periodic table) to moles of potassium and then to grams of potassium.

It's difficult to describe it here but if you write out the equation you can cancel out the denominators and numerators and you end up with grams of K.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Ogre Palowakski

Here's a suggestion for how to do well in classes like chemistry, physics and math....

When I was in college I was working full time and was married with kids so something had to give. I learned quickly that I rarely understood the material while in class and I still didn't get it after doing the homework problems assigned.

So eventually I stopped attending classes altogether and just did every problem in the book. I also picked up all practice exams and did those a few times before every exam or final. Believe it or not I ended up getting much better grades. I attribute this to the fact that I eventually understood the basic concepts by practicing them on my own and then I could apply them to more complex situations. Practice is the only way to really understand it, unless you are a genius. Doing every problem in the book definitely covers the practice part.

For classes like Biology, where you take tons of notes, I had a different approach. I always attended class and always took notes but I would not buy or read the book. Instead, every day I would read my notes - ALL of my notes. Sure, it ends up taking a lot of time but eventually I had my notes memorized. I started getting the highest grades in my classes and in some cases never had to take the finals. This was in a very competitive college in NJ, where there were medical students in some of the classes and I was outperforming them. That pissed them off. Well, they are probably doctors now and I'm not so I guess they are laughing now :rofl:

Anyway, that was just my approach to school since I didn't have a lot of time.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
How many grams of potassium,K, react, if 1.00 grams of hydrogen gas, is produced when the potassium reacts with water according to the following equation?

2K + 2 H20 -> 2 KOH + H2

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've needed to know this! :guilty:

Ogre Palowakski

Since when does 38.8 round up to 39.1??? :confused: Two completely different answers.

If this equation is anything like a math problem, you'll want to get like terms together. Otherwise I've got nothing :D

:greg: You're right, my rounding up sucked. What I should have said was to use 2.0 for H2 gas instead of 2.015. The extra digits throw off the final answer, especially since the potassium only has one significant digit after the decimal.

Wow, I just totally nerded out.

How ironic 'cause of my screen name

ogre_nerds.jpg

EROK81?

Sell out
Since we are on the subject of homework and this one's been solved....anyone want to help tackle an exciting math problem? ;)

Here are the details.

Consider the n x n determinant in which each entry on the main diagonal is a 2, each entry on the two adjacent diagonals is a 1, and every other entry is a zero.

Expand along the first row to show that B_n=2B_n-1 - B_n-2. I've done this part, but part b is where i am stuck. Which is...

Prove by induction on n that B_n = n+1 for n <greater than or equal to> 2.

I don't even remember what induction is. :(

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I have really enjoyed this thread... sure feels good to be done :p

My chemistry class at the U is what made me choose a different major :D

sibeta

Thanks for the help ogre. I am doing the chem class online so sometimes i have a little bit harder time trying to teach myself to some of the concepts. Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Last edited:

EROK81?

Sell out
^^^ I'm useless here. I have no idea what any of that means :ugh:

That's about where I am as well. Gotta study this proof of induction stuff I guess. :sick:

I think chem is one of the worst classes on the planet. I don't how people make it through o-chem. I had an intro that in chem II and it consisted of me copying stuff from the book because I had zero clue what was going on.

Ogre Palowakski

Thanks for the help ogre. I am doing the chem class online so sometimes i have a little bit harder time trying to teach myself to some of the concepts. Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

My pleasure (I hope my answer was right, by the way :rofl:)

Anyway, good luck in your classes. It'll all be over before you know it. I wish I were back in school.:cool:

Keep posting up your questions and let's see if we can't all help you get your degree :greg: