Cherokee help

hoosier

mtn yot
Cherokee beater beat and build

I am picking up a 93 cherokee tomorrow. It has the 4.0 with a 5" long arm kit. I don't think it is locked i believe the axles are stock. Out needs tires (i think i have that taken care of) what should i start to budget for first?

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Only reason to upgrade the rear axle would be if it's a d35. Even then, not everyone needs different axles. It's depends on what you want to use it for.
If it has a Chrysler 8.25 (fingers crossed) that should serve you well for 33's even if you wheel it. It will be a 27 spline but it's still a good axle for an XJ. I'm not a fan of the 8.8 swap because it's a lot more expensive than people make it out to be and they're not bulletproof like people claim.
I've seen 27 and 29 spline 8.25's take some real abuse, including massive jumps and some hard crawling and no problems to date. I swapped a 29 spline 8.25 into my XJ after I bent my d44 and it's been a far better axle than the 44 was. I put Ten Factory chromo's in it because they were like $79 each and that way I had the factory shafts for spares. I beat it like it owes me money and it's been great.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Only reason to upgrade the rear axle would be if it's a d35. Even then, not everyone needs different axles. It's depends on what you want to use it for.
If it has a Chrysler 8.25 (fingers crossed) that should serve you well for 33's even if you wheel it. It will be a 27 spline but it's still a good axle for an XJ. I'm not a fan of the 8.8 swap because it's a lot more expensive than people make it out to be and they're not bulletproof like people claim.
I've seen 27 and 29 spline 8.25's take some real abuse, including massive jumps and some hard crawling and no problems to date. I swapped a 29 spline 8.25 into my XJ after I bent my d44 and it's been a far better axle than the 44 was. I put Ten Factory chromo's in it because they were like $79 each and that way I had the factory shafts for spares. I beat it like it owes me money and it's been great.

My brother ran his 8.25 with a locker on 33's for 3 or 4 years without issue as well.

hoosier

mtn yot
Well i picked it up. I need to find rims and i am waiting to see if i got some tires. I am going to look over really well in the morning but it seems to run alright. I will let you all know

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
The first thing you should do is go wheel it instead of just dumping cash into parts that you may not actually need.

hoosier

mtn yot
I tried to put it under there but it does not seem to fit. Also does any one know who or where i can take my arb compressor to make sure it is working right

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I would start looking into a new front long arm kit. It looks like it has an old TeraFlex long arm kit which is really a horribly designed mid-arm kit. Anything that leaves the uppers stock and tries to lengthen the lowers is bad. It puts to much stress on the axle mounts and will eventually rip them off.

hoosier

mtn yot
Ok so i am not even sure what i should be looking for as far as suspention. Remember this is a VERY low budget rig untill i can get my 85 runner up and going. Also as far as sub frame connectors go, would 2x2x1/4 angle welded work. I was looking online today and that seems to be what people a using. Hard to say for sure due to the fact that i could not really find any dimentions just using the pictures, I might have a line on the material for the cagejust gotta double check. Redid the intake today pics to come