Cherokee Merc om617 swap.

J10/TJ/JK

This is just an idea as of now, no parts. I have a '96 xj and would like to put a Mercedes diesel In her. I'm a trucker and not*home very often. Does anyone know of a good mechanic that would be able to tackle a project like this. Btw I live near Clearfield. Thanks in advance for the input.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That's one hell of a custom project... I'm sure someone could tackle it, but IMO you're going to pay thru the nose.

That's a neat swap, I like the idea of an OM617... what adapter & transmission would you run?

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
Don't do it. Diesels aren't worth the swap. That are heavy and if you are going to drive it, they are not very versatile. Plus if you don't do the swap yourself and something goes wrong you will have to take it back to the same person that did the swap. Your money will be better spent elsewhere. Just my opinion, and it's your money.

Toad

Diesel conversions are cool for a bragging right. I dont know much about mercedes diesels but I always thing of the old stinky naturally aspirated ones that they had back in the day. I know they ran forever. I would not want to spend all day wheeling or wheeling behind a diesel. They just stink. Makes me sick. Have you considered a LS GM product. I realize it will not be as custom but it would be a whole lot easier. 20 mpg all of the power you could ever want.

J10/TJ/JK

There's a company that does an adapter to what I'm running now, the aw4. However it's not 100%. It states that some modification is necessary. But they have a solid adapter to the ax15. I'm thinking about it for 3 reasons: 1: I can get about 31mpg with a fryer oil conversion. 2: these motors have been documented running into the 700000 mile range. 3: I heart diesels. But it's not a closed case for me. V8 is always an option. I have little experience in this area so I love to hear what you guys have to say.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The OM617 is a great engine. I think 30+ mpg is optimistic considering the 300SD's would get that on a good day. Either way it should be well into the 20's. I'm not overly familiar with the 4.0 but I'd bet you will loose a bit of power compared to that diesel. Weight should be about the same if I were to guess. Is it worth it? Maybe. If I was going to put a diesel in an XJ that's what I would choose personally. It would definitely use a manual trans though I think adapting it to an auto would open a can of worms. Also you'd want a big ol' radiator. I'd go aftermarket and aluminum. The quickest way to destroy that engine is overheating it.

Nothing Jeep specific but worth a look: http://www.4x4labs.com/products/diesel-conversions/