cherokee shock bushing/sleeve bar pin

93yj

I got a new set of shocks for my Cherokee. Any tips on how I get the urethane sleeves and bar pins in the shock eyelet as one? I use a hand vice but either bushing just pops out and or the bar pin will pop out. I am sure it is something simple.

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
Some heat? put them in the freezer I had to put my bushings in the freezer so they could shrink to get them in my new leafs. it may work?

93yj

It’s more of how I press that bar pin through without popping the sleeve out? I just rub a little dish soap and the bushing will slide right in with a vice. It’s getting the shock the bushing and the pin to go in as one. I don’t know if I am making since. 1003_4wd_19+1991_jeep_cherokee_xj_unlimited_buildup+shock_eyelets.jpg

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
one side should come apart well atleast mind did now that I think about it. take a wrench and put it in the vise and see if one side will twist off.

Edit: what brand are yours? mine were jks and they looked a little different then the ones you have pictured so maybe my above statement wont work?

Last edited:

smartass_kid

hmm, maybe use a small pipe as a brace to keep bushing in eyelet?

get bushing into eyelet, let them warm up together and freeze barpin, lube barpin and tap into bushing with hammer while you use pipe below to keep bushing from popping out of shock?

SpeedyVic

What about heating the bushing up inside the shock eye, and then, after you've rounded off all the corners of the pin, carefully push it in the hot, lubed, bushing?

XJEEPER

Back when I ran bar pins (RIP) I would first install the bushing into the shock eye, then with the shock eye held over the slightly opened jaw of my vise, tap the barpin through the bushing with a hammer. I also rounded/tapered the outer edges of one end of the barpin with a grinder so it would slide into the bushing more easily.

Heating a poly bushing will risk melting it.....use a heatgun and not open flame, if you pursue this option.

Bar pins suck, FWIW. There are better options out there.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Rough-Country-Jeep-TJ-XJ-Bar-Pin-Eliminator-Kit-p-28230.html
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-J...tors.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=8664&t_pn=JKS9603

I fabbed my own mounts which use a standard EB1 (eye) bushing/sleeve on top and bottom, front and rear.

Last edited: