ChestonScout installs some Axletechs and reworks the Scout for the umpteenth time

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I haven't gotten very far yet but figured it was time for a build thread

Here is the link to my last round of reworking on my tired old rig. Its in the IH section of Pirate so most haven't seen it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/inte...-dont-you-just-build-buggy-scout-rebuild.html

The Scout has been working pretty good the last few years. I haven't changed much and haven't broken much. Well that all came to an end this year.

Ive been very happy with my Rockwells with Ouverson parts. This year I broke a lot of parts. To top it off at ITTC I screwed up. At the finish line of the OC I stomped the brakes like I always do to come to a stop. This time I had traction. Did a stoppie and it ended up blowing up a u joint in the front axle shaft. It was still spinning so I kept competing. It finally let go on the last course but went BOOM when it did. Busted the inner, outer, locker, knuckle, AND broke the kingpin off the housing. I didn't get many pics but here is the general idea

All of this can of course be repaired. But I was sick of spending money on Rockwells and it was gonna take a big chunk of change to upgrade the knuckles, spindles, and U joints. Let alone all the new OEM parts.
(Disclaimer....this breakage of Violator parts was caused by me running stock u joints. I have nothing but good things to say about Ouverson parts, just run all of them if you are going to run them)

SO....Im jumping on the Axletech bandwagon.

First up was finding some axles. It turns out that a local company had a bunch and they were currently installing a set on a SEMA build. After speaking with them I brought a set home. Thank you to Dave, and Steve and Dieselpowergear.com!!

If you haven't seen these axles in person your missing out. Pics do them NO justice. I saw them at Boyce Equipment a few years ago and thought they were awesome. Just not realistic at the time. So anyway they are friggin big. It didn't take long to realize that I wasn't going to be able to muscle these around like I could the Rockwells, I needed a forklift. Just so happened that a friend had a spare one sitting. He even delivered it for me.

Its old and ugly but mostly works. So now that I could unload them, it was time to start working on them.

I sold the Rockwells and my Stazwork wheels. The goal was to try install the techs with that budget. HAHAHAHA

I decided to try to take the spring perches off myself. My tooling is VERY limited and as you can see....Im working in a very small 2 car garage. 19'x19'.
So the first axle I cut off what I could with the porta band, used a cutoff wheel on the grinder, and tried to use the cheapo plasma cutter I have. After 8 hours I finally had one clean. Decided it was worth it to find someone with a air arc for the second axle

few minutes later

Money well spent. As you can tell I also had the housings sandblasted to get rid of the nasty carc paint.

Next up was trying to come up with some parts. After seeing the kickass work that SkippedLink did on his techs I started bugging him to produce some parts. :D
I got his high steer arms, driveline adapters, and I had him cut out some link mounts as well. Again, money well spent.

SkippedLink in here on RME but he doesn't check in much. He will be referred to as Leroy as well. :)

ChestonScout

Contact me and I can get you Leroys info if your interested in Axletech aftermarket parts. Top notch work.

Next up was trying to figure out brakes. Using the stock rotors was not an option for me. The Scout was already 7000 lbs. I know its gonna gain weight but every lb I can save will be worth it. The stock rotor is 60ish lbs. After a bunch of different options I decided to have a rotor cutout that would bolt on to the hub using the stock bolts. This one weighs 13 lbs

Its a 14" diameter and .5" thick. I haven't got to calipers yet but have a few ideas kicking around

ChestonScout

Its no secret that Ive wanted a buggy for several years now. I have been seriously considering letting the Scout retire to the scrap pile and putting all my parts on a new chassis. Still considering it actually and if the right chassis pops up it still may happen.

But as I stated, the Scout was heavy. A lot of weight was the stock frame that's left. IH wasn't known for making anything light weight. Also, there is so much junk welded onto the frame from the numerous times Ive built and rebuilt everything that I decided it was time to lose some junk. Half hoping to save a little weight, but mostly just to get rid of some hack work I did years ago. After looking my cage over pretty well, it was obvious it was time for some rebuilding. Every tube is bent and it was a little underbuilt to support the new weight. So I went to cutting

And Im still not done. Havent quite decided where I will stop but at least the front half of the cage will go as well.

My tentative plan is to leave the boatsides and the front end as is and rebuild the cage using 2" tube But I have some horrible ideas brewing. That's part of the reason for starting a build thread, I can use some input.

ChestonScout

I slid the axles under to get an idea of what its going to look like and a guestimate on wheelbase

The plan was to move the front axle forward enough to clear the oil pan. This would let me drop the ride height from over the Rockwells and increase up travel. It ended up 3" farther forward.

The rear was to stay in the same location. But after looking, if it slid back 3" the driveline would bolt right up and the links wouldn't need modified. So Im thinking that's where its gonna live. Makes it right about 135"

Another issue with these axles is the center diff. My plan is to clock the 205 down to center. The only problem with this the belly height suffers. I have 24" from ground to the bottom of the case.

to low?

ChestonScout

So carrying on with brakes.

This is where I have to give another special THANK YOU to RME for the generous donations of many many brake calipers. :greg:

After sitting a old style Toyota caliper on the rotor, it was just going to be to simple to not give it a try. Its basically copying Leroy's setup but took out some of the difficult parts of it.

Using the 14" rotor provides more space for the caliper. After scratching my head a little I decided that a threaded boss was going to be the easiest solution. So I found these guys

After cutting them to length I tacked them in place

As you can see the brake line will barely clear the original caliper mount. I will add a little gusseting to them later.
If one fits, 2 should right?

This is another place where the 14" rotor comes in handy. The pins for the pads will slide out over the hub making pad changes a snap

The only problem with this setup is like Leroy's, the caliper cannot be installed without taking it apart. With the hub off, you can bolt on the back half of the caliper, then the hub and outer half of the caliper. Kind of a pain but once its on it shouldn't have to come off til the rotor needs replaced. Pads slaps will be easy

I knew I would have plenty of room but just for fun I muscled a wheel on to check clearance

It should work

To tie the 2 calipers together I will just run a T at the knuckle and run short braided stainless lines to each caliper.

AaronPaige

I love it I'm so glad to see some one else playing with planets... Looking good your giving me inspiration to get back on my build

STAG

On my grind
Axletechs are awesome. I finally had a chance to make it up to DPG and check out their amazing trucks. I want that Duraburb bad!

I only left there with a 14 bolt though. No axletechs for me.

ChestonScout

I was at ITTC to witness the breakage. The final 3+ minutes of full throttle attack on the final obstacle sure was fun to watch!

My wife wasnt to impressed. Hahaha

Thanks for all the compliments

Ive just been working on getting the rotors and calipers on the other 3 corners. No good pics to post

Ill probably keep working on the axles. Ill get the link brackets tacked on and start working on ram mounts next

RockChucker

How much does one of those axles weigh? And I thought my TJ was heavy haha. Sweet build though. I saw those axles on the DPG 6 door megacab at Sema. Seems like they are more packageable than rockwells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevycrew

The axletechs weigh in about 1500lbs with the stock brakes. I think the calipers are about 70lbs each and the rotors 60. so it all adds up.