Chev Truck with Unimogs

I finally started driving my truck since I tore it down Last september. So far everything seems to work Ok. Still a few more things to do such as Longer front brake lines, Shorter rear shocks, and clearance the front crossmember for the traction bar, and hook up the cable lockers. I also have to get the rear steer. I have it locked out for now.

Some of the specs are---- GM Goodwrench 6.2 diesel(ATS turbo) 700r4 with most of the new updates, Offroad design doubler using Chevy 203, and a Furd 205. It also has a Triple stick from Offroad Design. The front driveshaft is from Jesse at High Angle Driveline. Its has a 1350 u-joints in the C/V, and a 1410 at the pinion. It also has the rockcrawler splines. The rear shaft is a stock style with 1350's. The front and rear end are Unimog 404 front axles from Daniel at Killeraxle.com. They both have the 8 lug disc brake conversion, and the pinion conversions from Killer axles. The wheels are stock 8 bolt hummer wheels with the magnesium runflatless beadlock.(I cut the runflat portion off) The wheel covers are 1/4inch polished 7075 aluminum. They are held on with four 1/4-20 stainless steel allen head bolts. The rest of the bolts are just pressed in.(24 total) The tires are 42-15/16.5 TSL's. The front steering is full hydraulic from Sean(Station)Stapely at P.O.S. The front springs are 4 superlift springs. The rear are stock 1/2 ton suburban springs with a 4 inch shackle flip. I moved the rear springs in about 3 inches a side for the clearance for the rear steer. I also moved the gas tank from under the bed in the rear to the behind my tool box. I made it out of 1/8" 5052. I waterjetted the pieces out then had a Fab shop bend the main piece. The bottom of the 3 flanges are welded on and the the tops bolt on with 1/4-20 bolts and they use 700r4 transmission O-rings to seal them up. I put a fuel pickup on both sides. They are like the Holley ones, but less expensive. Its about 26 gallons.
Here is a link to some other posts I have done.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254461&highlight=Unimog

Attachments

• Friday, May 28, 2004 (11).jpg
    Friday, May 28, 2004 (11).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 222

Unichev

The gas Tank isnt all the way done in this pic, but its the only one I have.

Attachments

• Thursday, March 25, 2004 (j.jpg
    Thursday, March 25, 2004 (j.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 55

Unichev

The pinion does get close to the oil pan, but it stays about 1.5 inches away. I didnt measure my caster right so it ended up being -1.5 degrees. I am planning to put a 4 degree shim in it, so that should give me some more pinion clearance. The truck drives pretty good considering how bad the caster is. I am using P.O.S. full hydraulic steering. It uses a Danfoss open-center, loadreative orbitrol valve, with a 9 1/2 inch stroke, 1.5inch rod, 2.5 inch bore, and 3 inch O.D. cylinder. The turning diameter is about 1 1/2 feet bigger then my stock 84 jimmy. So the Unimog axle really helped on that, Now I cant wait to get the rear steer on.

Attachments

• Friday, May 28, 2004.jpg
    Friday, May 28, 2004.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 146

WJL

That is one nice Chevy.
I think the owner works right across from KC here in the Harrisville Industrial Park

Pictures don't do it justice. Super clean.

IBC

ROOTBEER ANALYST
That is an awesome Chevy! I don't think I have ever seen a diesel powered truck with that much flex before. Great work!

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
That is really cool, even more impressive in person! By the way ... good job on Ryans burb it looks sweet and climbs very well.

Unichev

PierCed_3 said:
That is really cool, even more impressive in person! By the way ... good job on Ryans burb it looks sweet and climbs very well.

He hasn't ripped the fenders off yet has he?

WJL said:
That is one nice Chevy.
I think the owner works right across from KC here in the Harrisville Industrial Park

Pictures don't do it justice. Super clean.

I am a machinist at Petersons Inc, which is across the street from the Harrisville industrial park. I get a little nervous driving on 12th because of the Sherrifs office being down the street. I have been able to dodge them and the Highway Patrol So far.

When I was putting everything together, I really wasnt trying to make a show truck. I just wanted everything to be simple and clean. I just took my time putting everything together. I am still a little nervous driving it though. Even though I trust the Steering, its just something I have never delt with before. It works really good though.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Unichev said:
He hasn't ripped the fenders off yet has he?

Not yet, they really don't rub *that bad* for the size they are and such. It could use a little trim here and there but the tires fit pretty well. We have taken it up Mantua canyon and it flexed and such really well. You should come diggin with us, I would love to see that thing in motion!

Unichev

I am having fun just driving it after being down for 9 months. I really wanted to get it done before all the snow melted up at Monte Cristo. I want to take it down to little moab, I havent been down there yet.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
This truck is now in my top ten coolest vehicles list, I only wish I could see it in person, you have done everything I would have done to this truck I cannot think of anything that could possibly inprove is appeal. its right up my alley. thanks