Chevy 5.7L TBI Code 44 Hesitation Problems

midog

I have a 5.7L Chevy TBI. Ran great in Moab for its first time out! After I came home I’m having some issues.

The check engine light came on 44 code (O2 sensor detects lean fuel condition). When I warm it up and then go to wide open throttle is bogs down and hesitates for a few seconds and then catches up.

My fuel pump is rated at 30-45 psi and I wonder if that is causing some strain or damage to the internal fuel pressure regulator in the TBI? I’m also wondering if maybe a sensor could be the problem (like the throttle position sensor).

Any on with similar issues and what to look for before I spend a bunch of money on parts that I may not need?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm running the stock YJ 4.0L fuel pump with my TBI. I think it runs at 45-60 psi? I have not had any issues with the pressure regulator.

I'm not sure what could be causing your condition though.

Bart

It could be a bad 02 sensor that's triggering too much gas. I had a TPS go bad on a Jeep and it would do some funky stuff like that when it got hot, but that was a TJ 4.0.

cheepin

Why are you guys running so much pressure?The stock chevy pump is only 26psi.I had too big a pump on my rig and it ran terrible.Over powering the TBI's regulator.I changed over to the stock chevy in tank pump and it runs great.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Why are you guys running so much pressure?The stock chevy pump is only 26psi.I had too big a pump on my rig and it ran terrible.Over powering the TBI's regulator.I changed over to the stock chevy in tank pump and it runs great.

Honestly, I was just using it until I figured out how to swap to the in tank Camaro or truck pump or something. It's been in there about six years now. No issues at all

midog

Good ideas on the pump pressure. I have been worried about that as well. I know the pump I have is rated to 30-45 psi. I'm in the process of getting a fuel pressure gauge to actually see what kind of pressure im getting. I will let you know what I find. I kind of hope thats the issue (easy to swap out a pump).

Thanks guys!

midog

I put in the Carter GP5001 inline pump for my TBI 350 and it works great. It runs at 20 psi. max and has a 50 GPH. flow rate

Did you use that pump from the start? or did you have issues and swap in the carter.

I have been looking at a walbro 395 pump (another low pressure pump) but its a bit cheeper.