Chevy clutch replacement

O'neal

?????????
I'm a bit out of my element on this one.I am in process of changing a clutch in an early 80's fullsize chevy truck.I don't have a big floorjack but have an engine hoist.so I'm thinking of pulling the radiator,unbolting the engine mount's and sliding the engine forward to change out the clutch.Is this way an easier way to go?Also what's the best way to get to the top bellhousing bolt's?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
On Toyotas, I've seen guys hoist the engine and remove the motor mounts and then lower it to get to the top bolts, is that a possibility?

O'neal

?????????
Guess I need 2 more feet of extensions.6 bolt's right?Damn thing has so much caked on dirt and grease,it's almost impossible to see where the bell and engine meet lol!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I guess it depends on what else you got but if you can unhook whatever else holding the engine/transmission on it gets really easy doing a clutch swap when they are sitting on the floor.

O'neal

?????????
I'm afraid if I dropped the trans/case I wouldn't be able to get them back up without a big floor jack as I doubt I could bench press them back up...stocker truck,little tire's and really no room down there but myself and tool's.Kind of why I was thinking pulling the radiator,unbolting mount's and sliding the engine forward enough would be the easier way for me to get the job done.

4554x4

always modifing something
Does it have A/C? If not, pull the engine. You won't get it far enough forward to get enough room to get your body close enough to work on the bellhousing. Leave the radiator in it, pull the hood and completely remove the engine.