Chevy Dana 44 internal swap question

Tallz

I have a Chevy Dana 44 with a bad ring and pinion that I want to use it for the the parts outside the carrier. I want to pull the axles, balljoints, spindle and everything connected there out and use it in another Dana 44 I have that has a good carrier.

I am wondering if I can just remove the ring gear/carrier, remove the ball joints and pull the spindle and axle out as a whole?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
No. The shaft won't allow you to remove the ball joints without removal first. Plus its fun to get that grease all over your hands.

Tallz

Sorry I got a little mixed up. I want to pull the inner axle shaft, u-joint, outer shaft, knuckle, spindle, rotors, etc. out as a whole by unbolting the ball joints and sliding everything out together. How can I do that without going through the process of starting at the hubs and disassembling everything inwards from there?

N8RB8R

No, everything would need to be torn down.Caliper,tie rod, locking hub,wheel bearings, hub assembly, then the 6 spindle bolts remove spindle and backing plate, then pull the inner and outer shafts together, then you can remove the knuckle and then re assemble everything in the reverse order. Sorry no easier way than that.

Tallz

I guess it will be another good experience for me in case I ever need to do a tear down on the trail. Thanks for the info guys!