Chevy Duramax

lineforeman99

Any thoughts on towing with a Duramax. I am looking to buy one maybe as soon as this week. It is an 04 with 24000 miles. Elderly guy has to sell becaue his wife can't travel any longer.

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks Butch

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
It's probably good if you like the truck. They have good reputations as far as I know.

If it were me, I'd dig up an '03-05 Dodge longbed with a 6 speed, but that's what I would buy.

lineforeman99

I really like the ride of the Chevy, I used to own an 03. I did try out an 06 Dodge with the cummins. It was impressive. I didn't like the ride though. I am going to try the duramax out tomorrow with my jeep on behind it. We'll see.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I really like the ride of the Chevy, I used to own an 03. I did try out an 06 Dodge with the cummins. It was impressive. I didn't like the ride though. I am going to try the duramax out tomorrow with my jeep on behind it. We'll see.

I'm kind of the opposite. I liked the 'feel' of the Dodge vs. the feel of the GM. Different strokes....

Matt

Wasn't trying to hurt anybody's feelings, just throwing my 2cents in. Meat get back in the garage and put that TJ together!:D

78mitsu

I would buy a 01 to early 04 Duramax, which have the LB7 motor which tends to get better mileage and takes the power mods better! Dont let these guyz steer ya away from a Duramax, i have yet to be passed by a Ford or Dodge pulling a trailer up a hill! check out the link!:D

Same here, I have an 01 d-max with all the power goodies, lets just say my truck doesn't have to breath heavy or puff black smoke to climb hills witha load on. Most of the Duramax's power comes from the allison keeping it in it's power band and the positive shifting keeps shift lag to a minimum. I'd love to have one with a std, but I haven't ever even seen one on a lot.

My F-I-L bought one of the first ones off the assembly line (like #200) and he had a LOT of problems with it, but GM made it right and he has 30k on a 2003 motor, it has a little more unmp in stock form, but they're about the same with the power goodies. -> on a side note, he pulled 20k loads 100k miles in 9 months before he had problems with it.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Same here, I have an 01 d-max with all the power goodies, lets just say my truck doesn't have to breath heavy or puff black smoke to climb hills witha load on. Most of the Duramax's power comes from the allison keeping it in it's power band and the positive shifting keeps shift lag to a minimum. I'd love to have one with a std, but I haven't ever even seen one on a lot......

GM 'decided' that you didn't need a stick shift any more. They also 'decided' for you quite a few other things that I don't care for that pretty much come 'standard' on their trucks.

I'm far from a F*rd guy, but for the most part have had good luck with my PowerJoke and it tows and handles loads quite well. I do daily drive it and the ride is 'truckish', but not bad at all. Like I said above, I'd have rather had the longbed '03-05 Dodge with a stick, but found the best truck I could for the money and it happened to be a F*rd. No real regrets at this point.

78mitsu

They'll all work, I test-drove a mega-cab Dodge before I bought my D-Max. If the Seat-of-the pants test hadn't been hands down chebby, I'd have got the dodge (with the 6 speed and cummins)

Bart

I always buy whatever I can find the best deal on. Yep, I'm cheap.

I'm always interested in what people consider "a load". I used to get guys pulling past me with that race look in their eyes pulling open trailers with rigs on them when I had an enclosed trailer. Now I get the same guys when I have a gooseneck and 2 rigs. I'm not saying I have the fastest truck and that doesn't bother me in the least, I just want a truck to do what I bought it for. That's to haul my junk around.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com

I'm always interested in what people consider "a load". I used to get guys pulling past me with that race look in their eyes pulling open trailers with rigs on them when I had an enclosed trailer. Now I get the same guys when I have a gooseneck and 2 rigs. I'm not saying I have the fastest truck and that doesn't bother me in the least, I just want a truck to do what I bought it for. That's to haul my junk around.

Well said :D:hickey:

Gary T

I've owned all 3, Ford PS, Dodge CTD and 2 DuraMax's. Liked every one. Best ride Chev. Most heavy duty Dodge. I currently drive an 06 Silverado D max. The older I get the more I appreciate a nice ride. Tows nice too.

GOAT

Back from the beyond

Amen

Buy whatever you can pay cash for that will get the job done.

lineforeman99

This is some great information. I bought the D-max tonight. I pulled my jeep up a four mile grade and it is every bit as powerful as the cumins and way more confortable. I like the way the allison shifts going down hill.
Thanks for all the opinions.
Butch

Crinco

IMO, you will not regret it. The D-Max will pull the same stuff the other trucks will, with around the same mileage, but WILL do it smoother. You dont have to have a sore back just bacause you own a truck......

I would love to have a Manual in my D-Max, but I am so lazy anymore..... I guess my 6 speed auto will have to do :)
CR

YotaDunesman

Get Er Dun'
Good choice on the duramax! Youll love it!

For work we have an 06' duramax 2500 with the 6 speed allison, no power mods. We have put over 50k miles on it in just over a year. About 30k of those miles are towing an 18 foot trailer. On the highway we get about 16 mpg loaded, no trailer 18-19mpg. The truck runs strong, pulls up every hill without a glitch and generally without downshifting. I do love the transmission, I think it makes the truck. Really nice ride, quiet inside and out, no turbo lag, glow rods rather than glow plugs (rods are larger than the plugs and heat up and ready to start really fast,) rarely see smoke puffing out of the pipe. Basic interior not many frills, but it gets the job done.

My dad has a 03' Ford F-350 6.0 liter, no mods. This is a tough truck, but not the most efficient. It doesn't matter if we have a camper in the bed with a 20' loaded snowmobile trailer behind and it gets 13-14mpg which is the same if you have no load. Its bizarre and kind of frustrating. Its only a 4 speed and thats probably why mileage isn't better. It tows well and handles the load well, but there is alot of turbo lag off the line. Overall a good truck on the highway, but not my idea of a daily driver. Rough ride, noisier than the duramax, glow plugs sometimes take a while to heat up in the cold, puffs some black smoke up the hills when it downshifts. Nicer interior and controls, more luxurious feel, comfort, and more bells and whistles.

If I were to choose one for myself I would go with the duramax. The duramax has better fuel economy with and without a load, no turbo lag, better ride and I think it turns a little tighter (both trucks are 4 door long bed)

I don't know much about the dodge, but I hear they get 20+ mpg, but thats coming from a dodge guy and we all know how they are and how much they can exagerate. Frequently I hear: "DODGE IS THE BEST" or "YA SHOULDA BOUGHT A DODGE" thats all a LOAD OF CRAP! Just the reputation and how people talk great things about them is enough to keep me away. I know one thing, I dont want turn into some hick dodge guy with an ego the size of china.

The bottome line: I am sure that you would be fine with any of the trucks (Chevy, Ford or Dodge) you buy as long as its diesel! Good luck truck hunting!

Last edited: