GMC / Chevy CHEVY IFS QUESTION: HELP PLEASE (carnage pics)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
TECH QUESTION: PLEASE HELP

The tow rig:
1994 Chevy Suburban. 2500. 4.10 gears

Here is the situation:
blew up the front ring and pinion.

I pulled the IFS clamshell diff and this is what I found
3 drops of gear oil....

pinion gear is gone :eek:

chewed up carrier

ring is chewed up too

pinion gear

anyways my question is:

Can I pull the front shafts and drive it with just the unit/ wheel bearings in 2wd?

or will they fall apart without the stub shafts holding them together (like a dana 30 for example).

I'm not too worried about swapping in a new diff, but it's my wife's DD so I want to be able to drive it around until I can find another 4.10 diff to throw in it.

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'd have to see the bearing to be sure... but I think they are very similar in design to a Jeep unit bearing. So, I would not drive without stubs in them.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
quick glance at a Haynes manual and I concur with that opinion, though I can't be 100% w/these awesome illustrations. :rolleyes:

Time to hit the junkyards, bud.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
dang.... I'd put the whole thing back in minus the ring gear if the carnage hadn't taken out the inner wheel bearing that the driverside short shaft/ flange rides on (not the carrier bearing)

oh well... it was worth a try :(

interestingly enough this front is 33 spline and has a D60 sized ring/ pinion.

Last edited:

Chevycrew

I think that front takes the same locker as the semi-float 14 bolt. both are 33 spline, 14 bolt is 9.5" ring gear and that front is 9.25"

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Anyone know how to identify the gear ratio on these diffs without popping them open?
Mine had no tag.

and apparently the most common ratio was 3.73 not 4.10....

just trying to save time at the yard today...

ammo_bru

Just to give my 2cents. The unit bearings could fail with out the shaft helping to keep them together. My buddies Tahoe had a wheel pass him at 70mph on the freeway because the shaft was broken. (at least the is the way it looked when we put it back together)

jevyguy

dang.... I'd put the whole thing back in minus the ring gear if the carnage hadn't taken out the inner wheel bearing that the driverside short shaft/ flange rides on (not the carrier bearing)

oh well... it was worth a try :(

interestingly enough this front is 33 spline and has a D60 sized ring/ pinion.

Check the rear end of the vehicle you are trying to pull it from.

To get a quick fix you can take your cv axles apart (or go find some junk ones) and use the outer stubs to keep your bearings from falling apart. This way you can drive it until you really need 4wd.

Chevycrew

look in the glove box for an axle ratio code...

gt4 is 3.73
gt5 is 4.10

If will be mixed in with all the rpo codes...

If its not either of those, pm me, or call, I can help you figure it out.

Steve 208-890-5454

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Thanks a million Steve! You saved me a bunch of time!

I went and pulled a diff at the yard. ( took me two different ones to find one with the right ratio)
d7aba6c1.jpg

Cleaned it all up and threw it in. Put a new ujoint in the front driveshaft and a new oil filter elbow gasket. Changed the oil and had it done and driving all for $92. And 6 hours of work. :D
Not Bad for one man with hand tools in a parking lot. :D

Last edited:

Corban_White

Darn, too bad I wasn't online all week, I've got one in the truck with 4.10s that needs to come out to make room for the 60 that is cluttering up my garage! :D:D