chevy vortec swap

bryan93yj

I was wondering if anybody could help me with this question. I have a chevy 4.8l vortec out of a 04 tahoe that i am planing to put in my wrangler. my question is about the computer. I need to get one and can't find one for the 4.8l at local salvage yards. so I was wondering if anybody knows if the 5.3l vortec computer can be flash drived to work on my engine. I can easly find 5.3L computers. I have hurd different stories but no one seams to know for sure. :confused:

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 16

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
You might try jims performance, they did my wiring and computer also. I wanna say the 5.3 computers are the same, as its the same engine but different bore I believe as the 5.3

bryan93yj

yeah your right wj zuk. It is the same block so that is what I thought, the computers should interchange. you just have to reprogram it to work. Of coarse the guy at the chevy dealership said it would not work.

kowe69

wannabe
I did an older 5.7L Vortec swap into my 1 ton that used to be the 6.5l diesel. I know the 1996-1999 Vortec V6 and V8 small block and big block computers are all the same physically. Just the programing is different. It's all based on the VIN and I had Gus paules Chevrolet Flash two of mine with the same VIN. They even did it for me for free. Chevy has always been the kind of company to try and keep things simple. It's alot easier and cheaper for them to make one computer for every vehicle and then just program it for each individual car. I don't have any experience with the Gen III engines and computers, but I'd bet lunch that they are all the same as well. I'd give a chevy parts dept. a call and ask them. If the part number for the computer is the same with both engines it should work