Chipped pinion teeth

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I pulled out my front diff out of my Hummer last night and when I drained the oil I noticed some metal chunks. Pulled the cover and found some pinion chips. Never heard any kind of weird noise or humming or grinding or vibration at all from my drivetrain.

I'm selling this front diff on a Hummer forum, think this pretty much makes it worthless?

IMAG1394_zpshgkjeyjf.jpg

sixstringsteve

I wouldn't want one with a chipped pinion. However, worst case you just fully disclose everything (which I'm sure you will) and throw a price up. Then see what kind of offers come in. It might be worth it for the bearings or spider gears for someone.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you put some gear paint on it, you can see if the chips are in an area that doesn't contact the ring gear. I'd guess some of them are pretty close to the contact patch though, so buyer beware. Does the front diff spin on the street in that application? (I'd really only consider running it on a trail-only type thing, if you don't care about breakage too much)

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I wouldn't want one with a chipped pinion. However, worst case you just fully disclose everything (which I'm sure you will) and throw a price up. Then see what kind of offers come in. It might be worth it for the bearings or spider gears for someone.

I had it listed at $200 for the whole diff and IFS housing before I found this. Had a couple bites right off the bat because it's 4.56 from factory. And yes I'd disclose :D

If you put some gear paint on it, you can see if the chips are in an area that doesn't contact the ring gear. I'd guess some of them are pretty close to the contact patch though, so buyer beware. Does the front diff spin on the street in that application? (I'd really only consider running it on a trail-only type thing, if you don't care about breakage too much)

Yep H3's are full time 4WD (part of the reason for my drivetrain swap) and it spins at all street driving. I've never had this front cover off before and I have no clue how long they have been chipped for.