Chop Saw

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Ok, here's the deal. I can not keep my chop saw blade cutting. After putting a new blade on I can get 10-12 cuts then the blade won't cut any more :confused: It's kind of like it has turned into a solid piece, mealted???

It's a Dewalt and so far it hasen't mattered what brand of blade I put on they have all done the same thing.

What am I doing wrong??
Is there one better blade than another?

ps. what does this the most is square tubing.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Yeah, the blade will kinda get "glazed" when you are cuttin long. take some dikes( the cuttin kind) and take little nips out of the blade edge, about every inch or so, it gives it a new biting egde. he he, dikes.:cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
We had the same problem with our chop saw after several cuts. It would work great but then slowly start taking forever to cut. I think the key was cutting to fast in our case. We just put a little pressure on the saw and it didn't cut as fast but seemed to last longer.

solution: Get a Dewalt cold cut saw...:D

Caleb

yeah, whats a cold cut saw??? Iahve this problem seriously bad on my dewalt especially cutting .25" or thicker square tube...thats a good idea Jeremy, thanks...

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Dewalt makes a "cold cut saw" meaning it doesn't use an abrasive sytle blade. It actually used a carbide tipped saw blade that at a distance, looks alot like a wood saw. The base looks about the same with the clamping system. The saw literally makes zero sparks while you cut and is far quieter than a abrasive sytle chop saw. We replaces the abrasive style one with the cold Cut one and never looked back, but hte $500 price tag is hard to bear when you can get a abrasive style one for $150. Too bad i didn't get that along with the company...;)

The only downfall with the cold cut was when cutting thinner metals (sheetmetal, metal studs) it will almost rip the stuff before it begins to cut, but for large stuff... up to 1/2"or more? It was sweet.:D

Caleb

Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
Dewalt makes a "cold cut saw" meaning it doesn't use an abrasive sytle blade. It actually used a carbide tipped saw blade that at a distance, looks alot like a wood saw. The base looks about the same with the clamping system. The saw literally makes zero sparks while you cut and is far quieter than a abrasive sytle chop saw. We replaces the abrasive style one with the cold Cut one and never looked back, but hte $500 price tag is hard to bear when you can get a abrasive style one for $150. Too bad i didn't get that along with the company...;)

The only downfall with the cold cut was when cutting thinner metals (sheetmetal, metal studs) it will almost rip the stuff before it begins to cut, but for large stuff... up to 1/2"or more? It was sweet.:D

Ahhh I see, I have always heard them as being called multicutters...northern(I think) had them on sale a little while ago and guys were getting them for $199 refubished with a free blade...I shoulda jumped on it then...

Caleb

Originally posted by 1Bronco Guy
i had the same problem with the "glaze" thing goin on,

i switched to a WALTER CHOPCUT and that cured everything
i just ran out to the shed to make sure that thats what they were

and yep thats what they were,

they are the chit, they last long and are the cheapest ones i found

good luck

is that a brand of blade or brand/type of saw???

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by Jeremy
Yeah, the blade will kinda get "glazed" when you are cuttin long. take some dikes( the cuttin kind) and take little nips out of the blade edge, about every inch or so, it gives it a new biting egde. he he, dikes.:cool:

That made a HUGE difference, Thanks for the tip;)

Caleb

that page didn;t pull anything up...is this what you are talking about...
dw872.jpg