Toyota Chop top land crusher build

comingdown

Okay, so I have a few fj80 rear axles. I was originally going to cut it bare and re-do everything, but then I thought about keeping the mounts and beefing them up. What are people's thoughts? I think I'm better off doing this right the first time and not having to worry about it.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Definitely cut them off and do beefier brackets. Carl can make anything you can imagine

comingdown

After much pause and confusion and working out of town, this project is gone!!

However, I picked up a fairly built, but unattractive 85 yota and also a Toyota chassis that will be the new home for the nice parts on the ugly rig.

I bought the truck for a really good deal. Has full hydro steering, tg 3 link front and 4 link rear. Tcase ebrake, dual cases with gears, locked and welded axles. It is on fox air shocks with suck down winches front and rear and I plan on running that for now. It is a 22r with a weber but I'm gonna switch it to efi. Anyway, hoping to get the drivetrain swapped over this weekend and next and then the axles. Will be a lot of work to cut all the brackets off but I'm cheap so it will be worth it.

comingdown

fK2K

image806b3cd64f3dcc97.jpg

image.jpg

imagec29dac86a2e6e263.md.jpg

This is the truck I bought.

Last edited:

comingdown

And here is a not so great picture of the chassis.
image6e387ac58e050dc2.jpg

Here is a teaser pic of how the previous owner had it set up
image7273cdf77366172d.jpg

So it will look much better then the truck did. And it will seat 4 so I can drag my wife and kids along for some forced family fun. Last weekend I was in Moab with Colton and some other guys. Had an awesome time and was nearly convinced I wanted to get a sxs, but then I remembered I'm poor so I have to build beaters. Today I pulled the steering off and started unhooki g everything so I can yank the engine out. I will do that next week with help of a hoist I do not own. Should be pretty straight forward. The truck tunnel is nearly all cut out already so accessibility is not a problem, and I can strap the trans in place to suppor it. I thought about trying to yank it out together but with duals and the height I do t think it will be worth it. Plus this way I can check out the clutch and get a closer look at things and stuff.

comingdown

Well, had big plans to work on this beast this weekend. However, my shop looked like a group of homeless people had been squatting in there for months. So, after some not so subtle pushing from my buddies, I cleaned it out.

So, got that out of the way.

Long hard fun day of chopping and sawing and torching but the truck is now a pile of tetnis potential. We pulled the engine and trams and cases together.

Had to go a mile in the air to clear everything but we did. We split the engine and teams to check out the clutch and general conditions of everything and it looked pretty good. Throw out bearing looked bad but felt nice. Will probably replace that and the boot on the arm because it is missing. Got the brackets torched off 90% and nothing really left but the frame. All in all it was a productive day. Aside from some debris and gasoline in a few eyes, it went pretty smoothly.

Last edited:

Coco

Yeah was a good time. Got quite a bit done with a lot of good buddies.

Wouldn’t you know, the buggy is almost done!

We are still taking bets on if this project gets completed though. Anyone that wants in on the bet, just PM me :D

comingdown

We are still taking bets on if this project gets completed though. Anyone that wants in on the bet, just PM me :D

Ouch. Shots fired!! Can I put money on myself? Or should I wait till I get better odds

RogueJeepr

Here!
It's cool to see friends helping eachother out. Dont see enough of that , great job.
The progress y'all made, it should be running in no time.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

comingdown

Not much progress since it was cut up a few weeks back. I have cut off and cleaned up the brackets. I am not sure it is worth cutting them off. I prob go through $20-25 worth of cut off wheels cutting them off, and the time.... oh well. Gives me something to keep busy with.

I ordered bomb proof mounts and unbreakable t case mounts. I was hoping they would be here by this weekend but I procrastinated too long so prob won't go in till after thanksgiving, but maybe I can do it some evening after work. I am strongly considering doing my egr delete and block off and all that stuff while the engine is conveniently sitting on the blocks with 360* access. But aside from my own preference, will I see any major gains? I'm running a Weber carb so I have already done away with a lot of the electronic emissions stuff. Will I see any advantage by eliminating it?

I have also been working on a cart for my bender. It was originally bolted down because it was manual. But I did the swag air/hydraulic conversion so I can now make it mobile. I'll post some pictures once I finish it up.

Last edited:

comingdown

I was leaning that way, but it runs so smooth right now me and Tyler decided to leave it alone and not mess with it and risk it running worse.

comingdown

Well, we got held up on our start today due to some Black Friday shopping. (My wife was shopping and I had the kids). Anyway, once we got going, we made some okay progress. We had to buy new hardware to mate the trans to the block. So we did that, and then we bolted everything up to make sure it all worked. And then we decided to take a gamble and see if we could get the whole enchilada tucked in there all bolted together. Well, it took some creativity but we got it done.

We had to really fight the trail gear bomb proof motor mounts to get them to line up so we could bolt them in. But we managed. I hope they are worth the extra work.

As we were looking over everything, we discovered something I'm not sure how we missed. I'm planning on using the trail gear rear 4 link kit, but the chassis I'm using had leaf springs before and was built that way. So I'm gonna have to cut out a lot of the rear floor and raise the rear seat brackets to get that to work. And maybe more. It's a road block but I'm still happy to see the drivetrain in the vehicle. Seems like everything will Fit nicely.

comingdown

The guy in the picture is Tyler, who was my lovely assistant today. Big thanks to him for keeping me motivated and company while I'm working in the shop.