Chrysler 8.25" Really that bad???

Barney

So I've got a 2000 Cherokee sport with the 8.25" rear, 4.56 gears, ARB. Aside from being a C-clip axle and having a rubber drain plug, is there really anything else wrong with that axle? 29 spline shafts tell me they are almost as strong as 30 spline shafts in a Dana 44. Axle tubes seem to be the same thickness as a Dana 44 (Actually thicker than a Wrangler Rubicon Dana 44), and I've never heard of anyone actually breaking an 8.25". Am I missing something?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
They are not too bad of an axle. The earlier version only has 27 spline shafts. If you are running 33" tires or less you will be fine. 35's might be pushing your luck, depending on how hard you wheel. Seems to me that most people break the spider gears in a 8.25. The ARB should give you more strength in that area. IT's definitley better than a D35.

MOODY

Bald Guy
I beat on mine (1995)before I put in a detroit, never hurt it, who knows? Just know when to say 'when' in my worthless opinion...

Bud

'98 ZJ
I had one in my 97 XJ with 4:56 and trac-lock and chromoly shafts from Randy's R&P (~$150). I ran 35" Krawlers and never had a problem, nor have I seen one break or had to repair one in my old shop.

Barney

Thanks for the replies. I feel better now about my setup. I had to pass up on buying an unlimited Dana 44 rear. My 30 yr. old needed braces (wife!).

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Barney said:
Thanks for the replies. I feel better now about my setup. I had to pass up on buying an unlimited Dana 44 rear. My 30 yr. old needed braces (wife!).
How 'bout throwing out the info on that axle so someone around here can pick it up? :)

Barney

I hope he doesn't mind, but Joe, who works at Rock Logic, has a rear Dana 44, disc brakes, 4.56 w/ ARB (set up for leafs) and a front LP Dana 30, 4.56, ARB. Both were out of an wrangler unlimited and both were under his Cherokee (before he rolled it on Potato Salad Hill). I think there is a post in the Drivetrain For-Sale forum.

Barney

So how soon after and then how often do I want to change out the diff. oil after a gear change? I am at about 185 miles post gear swap.

Bud

'98 ZJ
Hickey said:
500-1000 miles is what I would do.
agree too, I usually would tell people to come back in two weeks to change oil and double-check everything.

You know, the disc brakes on the ZJ with the Aluminum 44 rear axle is a perfect donor for a disc brake conversion for your 8.25. I did one a while back with ease. Just get the parts from a salvage yard axle.

Barney

Bud said:
agree too, I usually would tell people to come back in two weeks to change oil and double-check everything.

You know, the disc brakes on the ZJ with the Aluminum 44 rear axle is a perfect donor for a disc brake conversion for your 8.25. I did one a while back with ease. Just get the parts from a salvage yard axle.
That is an excellent suggestion, thank you. Aside from better braking it would help retain the axle shaft in the event of a break, correct?

Bud

'98 ZJ
Barney said:
That is an excellent suggestion, thank you. Aside from better braking it would help retain the axle shaft in the event of a break, correct?
nope, still c-clip, sorry, you still have to use your axle shafts for the 8.25.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Bud said:
nope, still c-clip, sorry, you still have to use your axle shafts for the 8.25.

actually it would help to retain the broken shaft till you got down of the obsticle you were trying but the shaft would still have to be replaced right there on the spot to get going again.