Cities vs Urban vs Rural and other culture chat (Mental health - Spin off thread)

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Like what? A catholic family in the ward boundaries and a few neighbors that served missions in Toronto? :D

I've got a Catholic, an Indian family (dot kind, not feather), a lesbian couple, a Biden voter, and a Korean family all right here on my street of 7 houses.

Too much diversity for me.. gotta find a new place to live.

Edit.. Straight white male christian actually makes ME the minority! :rofl:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've got a Catholic, an Indian family (dot kind, not feather), a lesbian couple, a Biden voter, and a Korean family all right here on my street of 7 houses.

Edit.. Straight white male christian actually makes ME the minority! :rofl:
Dang I thought it didn’t get any whiter than South Jordan

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Dang I thought it didn’t get any whiter than South Jordan

That was the good old days when I grew up. The lesbians were here before me (1999 ish) but they are at least white.

Now we have to eat authentic Indian food anytime the in-laws across the street come visit and make too much extra food.

Just incase anyone can't read my silliness in these posts, we are great friends with each of our neighbors, and love them all. We frequently hang out, bbq, go to dinner, etc with most of them.

N-Smooth

My 11 y/o just made friends with a new kid in his class. He said he’s not from here and speaks another language that’s not Spanish so I asked where he’s from and he said “ummmm I think he’s… lesbian. Yeah, that’s it”

After I finished laughing my head off I was like did you mean Muslim? He’s like oh yeah, that one 🤣 I’m never letting him live that down, for sure.

We’ve had some great conversations about it recently, unfortunately including potential reasons why his parents said he couldn’t come to my boy’s b-day party a couple weeks ago. We even told him we’d help with whatever dietary restrictions he has (halal, vegetarian etc) but it was still a no. Both boys were bummed out but it is what it is I guess. #racism

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

Perfect! Perhaps some more urban city life is in fact what's missing if your life?

The prevailing thing that keeps Candace and I at our current home is the dogs. Two big dogs that need a yard for their sanity. Well, I do enjoy the shop too but there are obvious workarounds for that. Outside of that, we've both talked along about moving somewhere smaller and much more pedestrian and bike friendly. We've got just 2-3 non-chain food places with relative walking distance to us and we frequent them often, particularly in the summer when the dogs can porch it. I'd love to be walking distance to a hot dog cart, bookstore, coffee shop, bar and more restaurants. Eating at home isn't cost effective for DINK families :D

Then, buy a warehouse, say 2500 sq.ft. for an off site toy shop. No yard, super easy house to clean (or more appropriately to be cleaned) and more incentive to spend time out of the house be it in the wild outdoors or traveling. All this while maintaining rural properties for general outdoor debauchery opportunities. Different strokes for different folks!

In the meantime, I want for nothing (that's necessary, I want for a FLU 419 and a Pistenbully) and don't really have much in life to complain about besides my bad manors.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Culture has no color. A neighborhood can have its own culture, and be full of a divers set of other cultures.

I just appreciate that diversity in individual culture. To be fair, I've never lived in those areas I pointed out personally. It's just my observation from visiting them. Flawed perspective

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
It's hard for me to separate low income from urban. The crime downtown prevents me from ever wanting to live there. There are dozens of people in the MTB groups that have had their bikes stolen at great effort downtown. I can't do that. I work hard and things like my MTB are key to my physical and mental health. Having to bolt them to my garage floor or put them in my bedroom is a no go for me. I don't know how people live like that.
I do realize that there are lots of rural places where this is a problem too. Carbon county has it's share of low life criminals.

The thing I keep going back to is personal freedom. You can't have a city with 5 million people and have lax rules. People can't live that close without defined boundaries that are enforced by a third party. I struggle with that. I want to go where I want and do what I want and that isn't conducive to major metro areas.

02SE

It's hard for me to separate low income from urban. The crime downtown prevents me from ever wanting to live there. There are dozens of people in the MTB groups that have had their bikes stolen at great effort downtown. I can't do that. I work hard and things like my MTB are key to my physical and mental health. Having to bolt them to my garage floor or put them in my bedroom is a no go for me. I don't know how people live like that.
I do realize that there are lots of rural places where this is a problem too. Carbon county has it's share of low life criminals.

The thing I keep going back to is personal freedom. You can't have a city with 5 million people and have lax rules. People can't live that close without defined boundaries that are enforced by a third party. I struggle with that. I want to go where I want and do what I want and that isn't conducive to major metro areas.

Don't assume you're safe, just because you're not in an urban area. I live in the suburbs, close to the mountains, and we (neighbors and I) regularly see prowlers on home video cameras. Usually dressed all in black, with a backpack, and frequently in the middle of the night. Although thieves have been spotted in the middle of the day, too.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I live in east stabbington (south central slc). Honestly, I don't even have a functioning lock on my front door. I literally can't lock my door ha ha.

Last year we went camping over the weekend and my kid left the front door wide open and we didn't notice when we pulled out to leave. Kind of scary coming home to that, but all was well.

People in my hood don't have anything to steal, so thief's go to more affluent hoods for their pillaging.

But yes, due to the location of my business I'm well aware of the fear people from the the suburbs have about "crime" and homelessness downtown. Of course it's there, but it's a lot of places too. Every large city has it's issues and it becomes out of sight out of mind for a lot of poeple. I grew up taking the bus downtown when I was like 12 to meet girls at zcmi and crossroads malls, and have been lucky enough to spend a decent amount of time in other big cities and some less developed countries. It just doesn't bother all that much. I get why it deters others that aren't around it much though.

02SE

I live in east stabbington (south central slc). Honestly, I don't even have a functioning lock on my front door. I literally can't lock my door ha ha.

Last year we went camping over the weekend and my kid left the front door wide open and we didn't notice when we pulled out to leave. Kind of scary coming home to that, but all was well.

People in my hood don't have anything to steal, so thief's go to more affluent hoods for their pillaging.

But yes, due to the location of my business I'm well aware of the fear people from the the suburbs have about "crime" and homelessness downtown. Of course it's there, but it's a lot of places too. Every large city has it's issues and it becomes out of sight out of mind for a lot of poeple. I grew up taking the bus downtown when I was like 12 to meet girls at zcmi and crossroads malls, and have been lucky enough to spend a decent amount of time in other big cities and some less developed countries. It just doesn't bother all that much. I get why it deters others that aren't around it much though.

FWIW, I'm not afraid to go downtown. I was at ease and enjoyed talking to you in Bewilder... I've been in far sketchier places around the world. 😁

A few of the neighbors have commented that they felt safe from urban crime, until seeing the videos of prowlers in the neighborhood. I just tell them what UPD Officers have told me. The thieves aren't stupid, they go where defenses are perceived to be down, and they are more likely to score.

N-Smooth

Going to downtown SLC and other cities has given me some great teaching moments with my kids, I'll say that. Lots of "don't do drugs, kids" and "the choices you make really do matter" moments. Also definitely more "you don't know how fortunate you are, you spoiled little shits" talks than they'd like.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I feel pretty fortunate where I live. I was lucky enough to score a nice house (bigger than I ever needed) on a decent sized lot(.50) I will never have back door neighbors related to a flood plane and I positioned myself to work at the new ER 3 mins away. Still a smallish town (quickly growing) all with in some pretty awesome areas for recreation. (OFF ROADING)

Tebbsjeep

I know property crime is everywhere. I've had my car broken into in American Fork, and a bike stolen in kaysville. I've never thought I'd be robbed/accosted walking around or car jacked while getting gas in those areas though. Whenever I'm in a bigger city, I seem to spend most of the time trying to be highly aware of my surroundings that I don't enjoy being there. We don't go into SLC for fun, or out of necessity anymore. I stop in SLC proper maybe twice a year if that.

Last edited: