CJ 7 Questions

Cascadia

Undecided
I've been trying to sell or trade my Yamaha yfz 450 quad for a jeep or Toyota the last couple months. But obviously its not going to sell in the winter very fast. I had a trade offer for a 1977 cj 7 yesterday. I've owned 4 yj's and tons of other jeeps. Not sure what to look for in these. Sounds like a good trade though.

It has the 304 v8, 5 speed manual, 177k on the ticker, tube fenders front and rear that are powder coated, sliders that are powder coated, 33" tires, stock axles, brand new paint, full soft top with doors, hard top with sunroof, interior has carpet and not just a metal tub, wiring mess is minimal (stereo) behind dash, no leaks.

Im sure there is something else I'm forgetting. I just don't know cj's well enough to just give in to the trade. What should I look for? What model would a 5 spd manual trans be, what t case would this have and is it buildable? Oh and the body has zero rust or damage.

Tell me what I need to look for. Thanks.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I don't know anything about the value of your four wheeler so I don't know if it's a "good" trade or not. The CJ sounds like a pretty decent rig. I would check the tub over with a fine tooth comb for rust (near the "Joop" part of the tub, floor, rockers and around the tailgate). The 304 isn't going to be a powerhouse, but should be fairly reliable. I think the 5 speed will be a T5, which isn't known for it's strength but is "ok" as long as you don't put any power in front of it. I'd value that Jeep around $3000-4500 depending on how it met my preferences, options and tub condition.

There's always the options of gutting the powertrain and swapping in one ton stuff :D

I'd wait a couple of months and sell the four wheeler outright. Pick up Hickey's YJ (no idea why that's still for sale)

STAG

On my grind
image_zps23d1cfc9.jpg

image_zps3e51b8e6.jpg

image_zps943d7b60.jpg

image_zpsa99b393a.jpg

image_zps82955903.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
d20 tcase likely. looks like the hinges are falling off the hard top (a common thing). Those look like TJ soft doors (hence the door gap).

I dunno what you're selling your quad for but it might be worth it

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
BC is correct. I forgot that you had a '77 you were looking at. Here's some wikipedia reference stuff re: the trans/case info.

• Warner T-18 (4-speed with a Dana 20 1976-1979) (aftermarket adapters exist for a dana 300, but it was not a factory option)
  • Borg-Warner T-4 (4-speed with a Dana 300)
  • Borg-Warner T-5 (5-speed with a Dana 300)
  • Tremec T-150 (3-speed manual transmission with a Dana 20 1976-1979)
  • Tremec T-176 (4-speed manual with a Dana 300)
  • Borg-Warner SR-4 (4-speed with a Dana 300)
  • GM TH-400 (3-speed automatic with BW QuadraTrac #1339)
  • TF-999 (3-speed automatic transmission - 4.2 L with a Dana 300)
  • TF-904 (3-speed automatic transmission - 2.5 L with a Dana 300)
Transfer Cases

Cherokeester

It will have a dana 20 t-case with a wide ratio t-18 with the reverse up and to the right and a granny low. Amc 20 rear (it looks like it already has one piece shafts) a dana 30 front. The only thing I don't like about those years is the quadratrac system. Check the frame closely, especially near the engine mounts and a little further back where the bend is. Also, check around the rear bumper mounts for rust.

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
that is a dana 20 and it might have like a t171 (i think) 4 speed tranny... check around the steering gear on the frame... usually the frame has cracks there or the clamshell is broken.
the doors are TJ's like mentioned due to the gap in the top half. you said it had tube bumpers but those look like someone took a stock one and cut it down... if it doesn't go past the tires then its not going to pass inspection.

The axles will be the short track instead of the wide track...

Cascadia

Undecided
I meant tube fenders, not tube bumpers. If I do end up going through with a trade I will most likely have Chance build me some bumpers.
that is a dana 20 and it might have like a t171 (i think) 4 speed tranny... check around the steering gear on the frame... usually the frame has cracks there or the clamshell is broken.
the doors are TJ's like mentioned due to the gap in the top half. you said it had tube bumpers but those look like someone took a stock one and cut it down... if it doesn't go past the tires then its not going to pass inspection.

The axles will be the short track instead of the wide track...

mesha

By endurance we conquer
By the way Dana 20s are pretty cool and fairly build able. Low gears and decent outputs. They can be twin sticked if it isn't already. I like Dana 20s.