CJ-7 Steering and brakes

COMP4x4

I have an '86 CJ-7 with 33's. The problem I am having is that it wanders a lot on the street. The track bar and sway bar are solid. My tie rod and drag link angles are fine. relatively new polys in the spring eyes. AGR steering box with brace. I am guessing maybe the frame is moving a bit. I am thinking it may have something to do with the frame???. Its not boxed in. Any Ideas???

Also I have stock axles and brakes (has a booster) but have a hard time getting it to stop well. I do have a 350 with a hi rev cam. (maybe an issue with vacuum???)

Any ideas are welcome thanks.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Does it wander all the time or just when you hit a bump or something? Have you checked the bushings on the frame side of the suspension. Is your pitman arm, U bolts and stuff all tight.

COMP4x4

yes it does wander all the time. About the frame, I have noticed when people rebuild CJ's a lot of times they box the frame so it's not a C right? To make it more like a YJ or TJ fully rectangular frame.
We made a track bar from the axle to the frame.
It seems that there is a lag also from the time I turn the wheel to the time the body actually starts to move.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
CJs were fully boxed starting in 76. Don't worry about the last few inches in the front that is past your steering box mounts anyway. The first thing I would do if I was you is cut that track bar off. It may be causing wander instead of making it better. If the track bar is not exactly aligned with the drag link it will cause bump steer. Maybe post some pics of your steering linkage angles. You did not put long shackles on the Jeep did you? I also hope you did not put degree shims on the springs to correct driveshaft angles.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
COMP4x4 said:
It seems that there is a lag also from the time I turn the wheel to the time the body actually starts to move.
Intermediate shaft (from column to box) maybe???

Play in the box (yes, even an AGR...)???

Or the frame could be cracked...that is pretty...ok...really common on CJ's.

I agree with BobDog on the track bar...cut it off...quickly...

COMP4x4

Thanks guys! I will have to take a look at the shaft.
The shackles are stock length. I may be retarded but not enough to put shims on the front axle.
I will post some pics when I get a chance.

MaGoo

what kind of a lift and tires do you have? take it to the alignment shop and see what your caster is at. check ball joints and every thing else these guys said. after it is a cj.
ps i have a couple of them