CJ tranny up grade.

Dixon

Has any one ever swapped the three speed tranny out of their CJ for a 4 speed with the granny first gear. My son has a NP 235 in his early Bronco and it works great. A friend of mind has a 74 CJ with a 304 in it that we want to find a 4 speed transmission that will work in place of his 3 speed that will fit the bell housing and t case?? He asked me for my advice on building up his jeep and I told him this would be a good addition if we could find a tranny that would work.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
with a Cj5 your best bet is a t-18 out of a jeep. it should bolt to your bellhousing and your t case...

I believe that is the shortest combo you can get...

good luck

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I have a 73 CJ-5 with the 304 V-8 and swapped in the T-18 and it works excellent. Jeep used a lot of variations of the T-18, so you need to find one that was with the V-8 or 258 six and model 20 t-case.

If you can't find the right T-18 out of a Jeep, the easiest to swap in are the ones out of Ford 2 wheel drive pickups. Novak has all the information for this swap on their website.

Even though this is a short combo, I still had to convert the rear driveshaft to a CV type