Cj7 custom tub box

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
I want to build a box to fit in the tub of my jeep. Said tub has a fuel cell, so that needs to be worked around. Said tub also has some roll cage in the way at the back end of the tub.

The following shows the rough measurements of the overall box and lid.

IMG_0002-1.jpg

The inside will be partitioned with various bulk heads for tools/air tank/other … number/sizes yet to be determined.

Please give me some ideas as to what you guys have done, or wished you had done, in the past.

Questions:

1. I want to keep the gauge as light as possible, and yet roughed enough to standup and the top not to be too floppy. What gauge material should I use?

2. Does this material come in sheets and or rolls (i.e. 1 55” x 38” and 1 89” x 25”)?

3. The 89” x 25” piece is the main tub (5, 9.5, 12, 36, 12, 9.5, 5). This may not fit between the cage in one piece during install, but if it can (I’ll mach up some cardboard) , will metal shops have sheet benders that would do the bends on a single sheet? How about all but one side (i.e. minus one 5, 9.5, 12 section)?

4. Any Ideas on hinging and keeping the top up when opened.

5. probably want some kind of a latch that keeps the lid from slapping.

6. How much is the material going to cost?

7. Is there a local shop with the equipment to bend and cut the sheeting out there? Estimate on cost?

Thanks

Chad

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Chad,
Get a hold of "Team Fred", aka Carl Nielson, he makes some really cool tool boxes and such out of diamond plate and other materials etc...