CJ7 motor swap options

UFAB

Even doing the V8 swap your self and getting it to not overheat/idle correctly. Also MPGs are accomplished with a system that has MAF, O2, CAT, Flashed ECM. Takes time and the monies, but well worth it.

Toad

Everything about a 5.3 makes sense. Lighter than the 4.2 that is in it. Better mpgs. Far better driveability, horsepower torque, cold starting. But.. I am a cheap S.O .B :)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I see that Toad is in Logan and doesn't have to worry about IM testing, but if you do this and decide to sell it how does that effect areas like SLC that frown on V8 swaps that mess with the original emissions?

RockChucker

I see that Toad is in Logan and doesn't have to worry about IM testing, but if you do this and decide to sell it how does that effect areas like SLC that frown on V8 swaps that mess with the original emissions?

I live in sandy and my swap is 100% emissions compliant. I had to take it to the SL valley health dept to have emissions done. The guys down there are cool. I pulled in and they immediately knew it was not your average jeep. They were asking about what I did and how I did it. They thought it was great. No problem getting it to pass as long as all emissions systems are there and in tact.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I live in sandy and my swap is 100% emissions compliant. I had to take it to the SL valley health dept to have emissions done. The guys down there are cool. I pulled in and they immediately knew it was not your average jeep. They were asking about what I did and how I did it. They thought it was great. No problem getting it to pass as long as all emissions systems are there and in tact.
Thanks for the reply this is great information, I have a 86 that I want to do the same 5.3 swap. Not to highjack, but what emissions need to be on the Jeep, from the donor rig or the Jeep?

RockChucker

Being that yours is an 86, I am pretty sure that you will just have tailpipe emissions. When I went to the IM tech center to have the emissions done they asked me what year it was. When I told them '97 they hesitated a minute until I told them that an OBDII scan was possible. You could probably delete all the evap stuff, but I would run cat's and rear o2 sensors. You might as well get a harness that has an OBD plug and a check engine light too...it will make your future life much better if you should ever have a problem. If you want to come check my Jeep out, that is cool with me. I wish I would have had something to look at in person before I started...but I didn't.