CJ7 shackle reverse. To do or not to do?

cambam

I am in the process of springing over my jeep, and have been thinkin about reversing the shackles at the same time. My question is, wat are the downfalls to a shacke reversal?

RNandKT

If the Chick Digs it ....
It really depends on whether your spring over is using stock flat springs or arched lift springs.

If you are running stock springs a shackle reversal will make the vehical ride rougher, because when you hit bumps the spring will travel upward and decrease the length between the spring perch and the shackle. In this case if the shackle is in the rear, it will push the axle (and tire) forward into the bump causing it to be more intensely felt. If the shackle was in the front of the sring it will let the axle (and tire) move slightly backward with the bump and soften the impact.

This is adversely oppasite whe you are using a lifted spring. On an arched lifted spring when you hit a bump the spring will flaten out lengthening the distance between the shackle and the spring perch. Thus when you hit a bump is the shacle is in the rear (on an arched lift spring) it will push the shackle further back as the spring flatens as well as the axle (and tire) softening the impact and if the shackle is in the front stock position it will push it forward harder into the impact.

I found all this out from the following web site which has illastrations, and I set my wrangler up spring over as well as several of my friends (some with lift springs some with shackle reversals) and I can verify the results.

There have been other discusions as to how pushing it more forward rides worse on the road but puts more contact preasure onto the rocks when the suspension compresses up against a rock, but I cannot verify this since I have not seen any evidence to either support or deny it.

Here is the website:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/susp/elkcahs/

Hope that helps ya